pickups with wire pulled out of them :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickups with wire pulled out of them :(

HOw would one go about repairing a vintage pickup with the wires clipped or puller out of the pickup? They are the originals from my 74 Gibson L6S. As a kid I replaced one of them and obviously didnt take much care to think I may want to restore it to its original state in the future..

I am handy and have soldered a lot so I believe I can do it if I get some direction. They do have covers on them.

THANKS!

Re: pickups with wire pulled out of them

I think you may have issues there. Normally you can get pickups opened easily, but that era guitar may well come with the Superhumbucker, which is sealed with epoxy. I think these look like the Tarbacks....with black goop on the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Cash-UncommonRoad View Post
      HOw would one go about repairing a vintage pickup with the wires clipped or puller out of the pickup? They are the originals from my 74 Gibson L6S. As a kid I replaced one of them and obviously didnt take much care to think I may want to restore it to its original state in the future..

I am handy and have soldered a lot so I believe I can do it if I get some direction. They do have covers on them.

THANKS!
      depends on the type.

fender-style has two blobs of solder which attach output wires to the two thin strands of copper from the pickup winding - that's easy, those are your hot and ground.... some covered pickups from the 70s have two solder terminals on the bottom like fender singles (note: don't confuse that with the solder holding the cover on, if it's along the pickup cover, on the side or something, then it's just holding the pickup together)

if yours doesn't, you gotta unsolder the covers and look inside. may already have terminals as with the fender singles (which are just uncovered coils at their simplest, really), or you may have to find two tiny loose strands of copper from the start and end of the wind and create those terminals. be careful, that stuff's fragile.

at worst, you might have a broken wind and might need a rewind.

...well, unless it's epoxied, in which case - no terminals, no good (probably). though you can try to dig into the epoxy looking to expose terminals or the ends of a clipped-off pickup lead, I suppose. good luck!
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Pics would help us to see what mite be possible.
        Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
        If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Working...
        X