banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can someone give me a rundown of these custom shop humbuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone give me a rundown of these custom shop humbuckers?

In a nut shell, what are the characteristics of the following pickups: (There is not much info, other then specs, on the Custom Shop web pages)

78 Model
    BroBucker
    Bug-Sey Bucker
    Crazy 8
    S-Deco
    Nokie Edwards Both Dual Blade & Strat-Humbucker Duo

Please use reg production Duncans to compare to. Duncans that I am experienced with are:

Full Shred Neck & Bridge
    Custom (ceramic only)
    59 Neck & Bridge
    Pearly Gates Neck & Bridge
    Screamin Demon
    Jazz Neck

Also have knowledge of following Gibson Pups:

T-tops
    Shaw PAF
    490R
    498T
    HB-L & HB-R (Bill Lawrence designed)

Thank You all in advance!

Re: can someone give me a rundown of these custom shop humbuckers?

S-Deco: Compares most closely to a 'demon, but a little hotter with expanded mids and a sweeter top end (although I would still call it a fairly bright pickup). That is with the A5 magnet; I also have deco's with A8 and A2's. It is a really versatile, moderate output pickup; clear, tight and dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
      S-Deco: Compares most closely to a 'demon, but a little hotter with expanded mids and a sweeter top end (although I would still call it a fairly bright pickup). That is with the A5 magnet; I also have deco's with A8 and A2's. It is a really versatile, moderate output pickup; clear, tight and dynamic.
      Sounds like a pickup I would like. What are the differences between the A5 and A2? Does the A2 just fatten up the mids and sweeten the highs?

Comment

78 Model---think Van Halen 1. Like a meaner more aggressive PG
        BroBucker--The love child of a C5 and JB, I've called it the JB-Lite before...imagine a 498 with no graininess and with a more vintage flavored tone
        Bug-Sey Bucker
        Crazy 8---the first A8 pup made by Duncan, somewhere between the JB8 and Custom 8 tonally.
        S-Deco---a modern mid-output bucker. Not a PAF but not a high output pup either. You can do either A2 or A5 depending on the flavor you want.
        Nokie Edwards Both Dual Blade & Strat-Humbucker Duo

Additional Models of interest

RTM---Rattus Tonus Maximus-think big fat 80s rat tones
        Dokken Bucker---Early Dokken
        Super V--more modern Lynch tones
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Luke Duke,

Thank you for the input. Sounds like I would really like the 78.

I am not a fan of the 498, do you think I would not care for the BroBucker? I never tried a JB, but I am also not a big fan of the Custom (SH-5).

Comment

Originally posted by audiocheck View Post
            Sounds like a pickup I would like. What are the differences between the A5 and A2? Does the A2 just fatten up the mids and sweeten the highs?
            Yup, that is exactly what it does. Fattening up the mids is a good way to put it actually; it certainly doesn't give the midrange an aggressive edge as the A2 version is more laid back overall. The low end still stays pretty tight, which is nice. The A8 version, which I have in one of my PRS singlecuts, REALLY ups the aggression and output factor.

Comment

Originally posted by audiocheck View Post
              Luke Duke,

Thank you for the input. Sounds like I would really like the 78.

I am not a fan of the 498, do you think I would not care for the BroBucker? I never tried a JB, but I am also not a big fan of the Custom (SH-5).
              The 78 is a phenomenal pup. I have one in my R8 and had one in my CU 24 for years.

Like you I dislike the 498T, but I was using it as a reference point. The Brobucker was the first "forum developed " pup. It was made to be as fat and hot as a PAF could have been. It uses an images A5 magnet and 42awg wire. It has more true mids than the 59 and less bass and treble.
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

There is not much info, other then specs, on the Custom Shop web pages
                you got that right. and some of the info on that's been verified as wrong by the CS keeps being reverted back to wrong info. someone needs to get the wheels back on that wagon.

The 78 is a phenomenal pup.
                agreed.

it can commonly be thought of as just a pickup for VH-clones, but it is much much more than that. pretty versatile. has a little more life in a brighter guitar. you'd think it is a moderate-output pickup, but the voicing is so open that it has a louder vibe that some people think when they go only by the specs.

and to follow up on what LD suggested, I can see where he would suggest a few of those other models.

Comment

Thank you all for the input!

Also would be nice if all SD pickups had sound samples on the website. The Sound Samples really helped me decide on the Screamin' Demon I just put in. And I am real happy with it too.

Comment

Working...
                  X