• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split HB diagram

I'd like a simple 2 HB split system (with 6 positions):

HB: Neck, Neck/Bridge, Bridge.
    Split coils: Neck, Neck/Bridge, Bridge.

I want to toggle between the (2) humbuckers and toggle between the (2) single coils. I think this is the diagram I need. Can someone confirm this?

And just wondering: What would a Tone push-pull be used for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2zzq72w.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	5831297

Re: Split HB diagram

cool09
    Yes, if you want to have the option of cutting the coil on either humbucker, that diagram will do the job.
    I don't want to complicate things for you, but here's a page on my website http://www.1728.org/guitar7.htm which discusses coil cut switching in great detail.
    Two things which might interest you are:
    1) wiring the coil cut circuit so that when both humbuckers are active and both coils are being cut, the result is another humbucking circuit.
    2) you can choose which coil is being cut. (This is especially important for the bridge humbucker).
    I hope this opens up a few more options for you.

Comment

Thanks so much, Wolf. Are you saying if you split the coils and choose neck/bridge toggle position (ie. neck and bridge single coils active) you will essentially end up with one humbucker (even though the single coils are separated)? Will you get a "thin" (Strat) sound in this position? Will these coils feedback, produce dynamics like a Strat? I'll post photos when I get it done.

This is guitar I finished (out of walnut). Just purchased 2 humbucker pickguard. (Cheap Mighty Mite neck which does have a very good level fret job but very little neck relief. Birdseye is the way to go - maybe later.)
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey Cool09. Welcome to the forum~ That diagram is a series/parallel diagram. It will not work.
        And yes you can split the HBs to have hum-cancelling in the middle position. For what you are wanting, you only need one DPDT push pull pot, or one DPDT switch.

You want this diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...2h_2v_1t_3w_pp and the push/pull needs to be wired just a bit differently.
        I currently don't have the resources, but its pretty easy mod and I bet someone on the board can assist.

Cheers and enjoy the process!

RG
        Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

The push pull tone is used to switch between the HBs and split coils? Makes sense. (ie. Makes switching faster.) Thanks.

Comment

To get hum cancelling in the middle position with both neck and bridge pups split you need to wire one of the pups to the DPDT switch a little differently, as Rodney suggested.

Instead of the red and white wires going to the middle lug of the DPDT, connect the black and green (of ONE of the pups). The white wire will go to ground, and the red wire becomes the "hot" wire going to the vol pot instead of the black wire. This will split one of the pups to the screw coil and the other pup to the slug coil giving you the same configuration as one humbuckers pup...hum cancelling.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Well I figured that I should draw a graphic to make the wiring as clear as possible.
              As far as the sound it would not have that inside out, "out of phase" sound but it would be thinner than the sound of a conventional humbucker. Basically, the coils are in parallel (whereas conventional humbucker wiring has the coils in series).
              Well, I think an Internet forum is not the best place to discuss all aspects of humbucker wiring. I think these links
              http://www.1728.org/guitar7.htm and

should give you a good idea about humbucker wiring. And if you want to find some more pages, go right ahead.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	SD-CoilCut.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	5773738

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                To get hum cancelling in the middle position with both neck and bridge pups split you need to wire one of the pups to the DPDT switch a little differently, as Rodney suggested.

Instead of the red and white wires going to the middle lug of the DPDT, connect the black and green (of ONE of the pups). The white wire will go to ground, and the red wire becomes the "hot" wire going to the vol pot instead of the black wire. This will split one of the pups to the screw coil and the other pup to the slug coil giving you the same configuration as one humbuckers pup...hum cancelling.
                Cheers brother Doc, and thanks. Although, that actually is not what I had in mind for the single DPDT switch. There are a few mods that provide different coil selection options that keep us hum-cancelling including both slug, both screw etc... Its been a long time and my 'index of schematics' is long put away in storage with antiquated paper drawings. I don't really have interest in resuscitating it...LOL Ill see if I can find the mod switching and post it as an alternative if I get the time.

Originally posted by wolf View Post
                Well I figured that I should draw a graphic to make the wiring as clear as possible.
                As far as the sound it would not have that inside out, "out of phase" sound but it would be thinner than the sound of a conventional humbucker. Basically, the coils are in parallel (whereas conventional humbucker wiring has the coils in series).
                Well, I think an Internet forum is not the best place to discuss all aspects of humbucker wiring. I think these links
                http://www.1728.org/guitar7.htm and

should give you a good idea about humbucker wiring. And if you want to find some more pages, go right ahead.
                While I understand the intent, I do feel that this is a wonderful environment and a very appropriate forum to discuss humbucker winding and wiring. This is when/where it is relevant in real-time use. There are alot of really well-groomed contributors here to support us and supply us with experience and collective knowledge. I appreciate all of it myself. This is a great place to gain the confidence to work on your own pickups and wiring's by those who are going through the same process as you or have been through it and can help guide and mentor.

To the OP: In my personal experience the parallel energy between two singles is both musical, clear and very usable as well as a sound we have become familiar with. I personally find it the best option as there is nothing else sonically that can duplicate it in a HH guitar.

Cheers! RG
                Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

Wolf, I read your guide on choosing coils and "creating" one humbucker (with a neck coil and a bridge coil). It's written well. I always thought that a humbucker cancels humming because the coils are right next to each other(?) An active single neck coil and an active single bridge coil will cancel humming even though they are not next to each other? Thanks very much for the info, guys.

is a wonderful environment and a very appropriate forum to discuss humbucker winding and wiring. This is when/where it is relevant in real-time use. There are alot of really well-groomed contributors here to support us and supply us with experience and collective knowledge.
                  This is the best place to discuss wiring diagrams in detail and the resulting tones/sounds. You can't get this detail from manufacturer support.
                  Last edited by cool09; 01-08-2014, 02:03 PM. Reason: add

Comment

cool09
                    Thanks for the good words about my website.

Rodney Gene
                    The reason I commented that an "Internet forum is not the best place to discuss all aspects of humbucker wiring", I was just concerned that the topic sometimes can get seriously sidetracked or derailed. I've posted to a lot of guitar rewiring message boards (as no doubt a lot of you have done) and I think we all have seen a great many rewiring topics get much too involved with "solutions" that will only have an extremely minor effect.
                    For example, "my bridge pidkup sounds too muddy. I've heard the pots can decrease the frequency response. So, if I have 500 K pots, would changing those to 510 K give me a better treble response? How about 515K pots - or would those make the pickup sound too bright?" And so on.

Comment

Working...
                    X