Dilemma - Seth Lovers or Slash Alnico II Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma - Seth Lovers or Slash Alnico II Pro

I have been working on a Mahogany LP with a maple top, 500K pots, and am looking at purchasing either a set of Seth Lovers or a set of Slash Alnico II pros. I have not played through either set, and am looking for the differences in the two sets.

Generally, I am a mostly classic rock/blues player. I'd like to know the real sonic differences between these two sets. I've seen several youtube videos, but none with a side-by-side comparison.

Re: Dilemma - Seth Lovers or Slash Alnico II Pro

What do you want to know?
    The Slash Alnico II Pro is one hell of a great set! Very clear, vintage, precise, and everything.

What type of music are you looking forward to play? Do you prefer vintage sounds or like to play something a little more modern?
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

The slash set is not really PAFish. It is like a mad scientists variation on a T top. More powerful, more lows, less midrange, less of a balanced EQ that a T top has. Very clear, super articulate with a single coil like attack. Handles high gain much better than typical PAF types.

Seths are warmer, more midrangey, especially low mids, with a little honkiness. Classic even wound PAF type tone. They are not as clear or articulate under higher gain settings as the Slash.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I describe the APH as "sharp", not as in smart but as in like a knife.

The Seths are warm and have a bit air airyness about them.

Comment

uOpt says is perfectly. I love them both. Strangely a hybrid of these two is horrible but that's perhaps a testimony on how superb these pickups are on their own (but: I do love a seth/59 or a seth/pearly hybrid or a seth-B/screaming demon and/or a Seth-B/SH6n alnico8 hybrid).

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            uOpt says is perfectly. I love them both. Strangely a hybrid of these two is horrible but that's perhaps a testimony on how superb these pickups are on their own (but: I do love a seth/59 or a seth/pearly hybrid or a seth-B/screaming demon and/or a Seth-B/SH6n alnico8 hybrid).
            Ooh! I'd love to try those hybrids. Alas, I'm not yet comfortable with coil swapping. Magnets yes, coils no. Well, not yet...

Comment

I'm more of an 80s rock kind of guy, but do like the classic rock sound. The sound I have in my head is Bryan Adams' guitarist, great, articulate leads, with a good bridge for chord work. I'm not looking at something ultra-high gain.

Comment

The Seth is very vintage sounding. It's that classic Les Paul tone. Think Bad Co. The Slash set is just a great all around lower output pickup. They have a really cool single coil type of attack that blooms into a humbucker finish. Almost P90ish. Between the two, I think the Slash set is more versatile. From clean to mean.
                2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

This is not much of a dilemma.

The bottom line here is how do you like your highs?

For a super fat liquid high, you get A2P's
                  For a crisper more classic PAF sound, you get the Seths.

If the guitar is dark, maybe NOT a2p's. If it is really bright (not likely) maybe NOT Seths.

The real Dilema here is YOU don't know what you want. These are very different sounds. I can't tell you what you want. I love A2P's, PG's, and 59's, all for different reasons and different situations. And Seths are great too.

I'd get Seths for a guitar where I really wanted pure true vintage tone, played clean a lot, and wanted to hear the "wood" and A2P's where I wanted a classic but modern PAF style or fat vintage blues sound.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Amp might drive my choice too. An amp that really colors the sound - don't waste the Seths on it. A2P's - fine.

Comment

I'm thinking the Seth's may be the better choice. I like a crisper high. It also sounds like the Seth's may be a bit more versatile.

I guess if I don't like the Seth's, I can always swap them for a set of Alnico II pros.

Comment

I'm interested to find out how a Slash set compares with the 59 set in one if my LS116F's - I've got the pickups, I just need to fit them. I wanted to record the 59's in that guitar first but my music PC has gone belly up, so I may have to forgo that in the interests of forward progress.
                        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Mike View Post
                          I'm thinking the Seth's may be the better choice. I like a crisper high. It also sounds like the Seth's may be a bit more versatile.

I guess if I don't like the Seth's, I can always swap them for a set of Alnico II pros.
                          The Slash set is def not the same as a regular AP2. It has crisper more cutiing highs than a seth or standard a2pro. The seth is very round compared to a Slash which is very crisp due to the coils and spn wire. The standard a2ps are warmer and smoother than the slash set, especially the neck.

The slash set does alot of things you would never think any A2 pickup would do. It is super tight/tracks like a5, .articulate, crisp, ballsy, and very different from a seth or Burstbucker1/2/3 or 57 classic or PG or whatever alnico 2 PAF type. I think its whatever they have done to the coils, as modern gibsons use dyed spn wire too. But that certainly contributes to its tightness under gain,and sharp high end.
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                            The Slash set is def not the same as a regular AP2. It has crisper more cutiing highs than a seth or standard a2pro. The seth is very round compared to a Slash which is very crisp due to the coils and spn wire. The standard a2ps are warmer and smoother than the slash set, especially the neck.

The slash set does alot of things you would never think any A2 pickup would do. It is super tight/tracks like a5, .articulate, crisp, ballsy, and very different from a seth or Burstbucker1/2/3 or 57 classic or PG or whatever alnico 2 PAF type. I think its whatever they have done to the coils, as modern gibsons use dyed spn wire too. But that certainly contributes to its tightness under gain,and sharp high end.
                            Thanks for the clarification. I'd like to try one of the Slash sets and do a side-by-side comparison. So many pickups, not enough money!

Comment

IS there a Slash Set vs A2P vid out there?

Comment

Working...
                              X