Wiring Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Help Needed

I am trying to come up with a wiring diagram for a project i was trying to finish and I ran into some problems.

I am going for an HSH setup with 2 push pull volume controls, the first one controlling the neck and middle volumes and the second to control the bridge. The switch would split the hum bucker of each respected pot. I want the third pot to be this TBX tone control mod I found on the bottom of the following page:

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

When drawing this up I basically followed this diagram that i found except i replaced the regular tone control with TBX mod and used 2 hum buckers instead of 3 single coils.

My concerns are the following

1. The above diagram is for 3 single coils, I am not certain that the output of the humbuckers can be wired the same way and get the same results.
    2. If the TBX mod will still function correctly since this diagram has no input going into the pot but on the original diagram for the mod it has an input
    3. If this diagram will allow me to take advantage of the two volume controls and be able to blend the sound of the pickups similarly to the middle position of a les paul type guitar.
    4. I would like to add a DPDT switch that would activate the neck pickup in any switch position effectivly adding two more combinations to the usual 5, one with all three pickups active and one with only the neck and bridge active. Like above I would like to be able to use the 2 volume pots to blend together the different pickups. I'm really only specifically interested in being able to blend the neck and the bridge together.

I will include the diagram I drew up including everything besides the DPDT switch. (sorry it is very messy) I seem have to gotten myself in way over my head on this one and I don't want to wire it up and have it end up not working correctly. If anyone could check it over or make the necessary additions to make this work that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Wiring Help Needed

Upon quick examination, it looks correct. Just remember to ground all of the pots to each other.

As far as the switch for the neck pup, you don't really need a DPDT but you can use just one side of the DPDT if that's what you already have. The hot wire (black) from the neck pup will first go to the middle lug. Solder a wire from the top lug to where the middle pup attaches to the 5 way switch in your diagram. Solder another wire from the bottom lug of the DPDT switch to the input lug of the vol pot (for the neck and middle pups). That way, the switch in one position will connect the neck pup the same as in your diagram to be controlled by the 5-way switch. In the other position of the DPDT, the neck pup will go directly to the vol pot and thus be on all the time regardless of the position of the 5-way switch.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks. However I am stilled concerned about the TBX control. Will it still function correctly without an input connected to the outer lug like shown in its original diagram found on my first link?

Also I will be posting a much neater diagram in just a little bit since it would be a lot easier to follow and to be checked over.

Comment

I have remade my wiring diagram and I think things are much more clear now.

A few things were added to this one. I added a treble bleed mod to each of the volume pots, along with a 470k resistor that will basically turn the 500k pot into a 250k pot when I split the humbuckers. The final addition is the switch to turn on the neck in any positions.

I would like to have somebody more experienced check this over and make sure everything will work properly like I described in my first post.
        Attached Files

Comment

After studying the diagram some more I think that the TBX tone control would have to be wired with the output from the switch connecting to the outer lug and then the center lug going out to the tip of the jack.

Here is a modified sketch.
          Attached Files

Comment

No. Your second diagram is correct afaik. You definitely don't want to wire the TBX as in your last diagram, it will act as a volume control.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X