RTM in a basswood destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTM in a basswood destroyer

Sounds like a bad combo, I'm about to find out.

Re: RTM in a basswood destroyer

Ya never know till ya try! Let use know
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
    If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Depends on what you're aiming for. Might be exactly what you want.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

i thought it sounded like a good combo

Comment

I've had this RTM on loan from Mr. 9finger for a while and hadn't found a spot to try it in, assumptions and whatnot made me think it wouldn't be right in anything I was working on. I need to get it back to him at some point so I decided to give it a shot in the Destroyer. I was thinking with the big body and being basswood I was gonna be forced to put something like a DD or a Painkiller in it, maple board and all.

I was so wrong, and this kids, is why you don't make assumptions. Some of it is this guitar, I'm sure. It's probably my best guitar, which is hilarious for basically being 1983 entry level Ibanez with a Warmoth neck slapped on it. I'll reiterate what's been said before: the RTM is def not a JB2. The JB2 is way smoother and lacks the pick attack the RTM has, and is much more like the old Double Whammy DMZ. The RTM is more like a normal JB, just way ****ing better (in my opinion). I'm using AADGBE tuning on it, I'm amazed how tight the RTM is on the low A with a freaking 64 (would be total flub city with a JB, this is an A2 magnet?!) and how nice the lead sounds are (sings like Celine). I've been rocking a Painkiller in a basswood/maple RG in normal drop A tuning for a bit, and the RTM is just as hot without any real noticeable lack of clarity by comparison. With the different tunings they're actually not all that unlike each other. I don't have to make EQ adjustments switching between them.

The hype on this one is real, thrash on this thing will make you slap yo momma. It's gonna be real hard to take it out and send it back to B, ugh. He told me I was gonna want one. Thanks dude.

Who's got an RTM and can compare a Holydiver?

Last edited by King IzzO))); 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Just upgraded an Ibanez Iceman (basswood) to a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge--possibly my favorite pickup combo I've played yet. I've had the same pickups in other woods--I think basswood is the best for the Liquifire.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
              Who's got an RTM and can compare a Holydiver?
              I gotcha on that one. in fact, I've had them both in the same guitar. this is going to get in to some of those ethereal realms of descriptions, so bear with me.

it's reasonable to see/hear where variants like the RTM and the AH-1 fall in the realm of the JB pedigree. and then you have BKP models like the Holy Diver and Rebel Yell or the DMT Baker Act that are more like something of an homage to the JB. sometimes it's like deciding if you want salsa or tobasco... or if you want table salt or sea salt... and so on. I can definitely see where someone would imagine a parallel between the RTM and the HD, as the A2 in the RTM would seem to soften the attack and even though the HD has an A5 it still has softened/rounded highs. but I don't think they are altogether 'the same'. very similar and maybe not different enough for anyone to concern themselves with unless they are just on a tone quest.

the RTM is a little throatier and richer. the highs are sweeter, while still being able to cut. it has what I've referred to previously as a bit of a 'sparkle' to it... hit a big open chord and you can hear it. like when a big firework goes off into a bloom and it has those little bright embers that continue to glow.

the Holy Diver is a little more focused and more clear - clarity being a bit of a trademark for BKP. hit the same big open chord in the HD and it will have a bit of a grind to it when compared to the RTM. not a DD type of a grind, but once again, just relative to the RTM. I don't find the HD to be BKP's "JB killer" as much as the Rebel Yell is.

a common trait is that they are both more prone to the effect of the guitar they are in more than most models I've tinkered with over the years. if you want them to shine and cut, they will be better suited for maple or poplar or ash or a bright alder. other woods like basswood or an alder that is a little tame, and you'll hear more of the softened/rounded highs. personally, I'd not get into mahogany or korina with either of these, but that is simply my preference.

if you search for that one BKP thread, I think I posted a link to a soundcloud sample of the Holy Diver and the Rebel Yell compared in the same clip. more recently, I've done the same clip with the RTM. I won't be posting my SD samples here, but shoot me a PM if interested and we can see about getting that to you.

Comment

Working...
              X