banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What neck humbucker for a 59/Custom Hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What neck humbucker for a 59/Custom Hybrid?

Hey all, some of you may remember that I had plans to switch my strat to an HH a little while back. Well, I bought all the parts, the pickguard, knobs, pots and a switch. Aaand then I went on a relatively expensive vacation and realised I couldn't justify purchasing pickups that month without losing my ability to pay rent or eat. In the meantime I started listening to clips of the SH-16 and I've really fallen in love, it sounds super clear, versatile and pretty much everything I'm looking for in a pickup (and should be a solid change from the honkiness and weird compression of my PATB-3... great pickup that I'm just absolutely sick of).

So what neck humbucker would suit it? It would be replacing a Cool Rails (Im changing pickguards). In my band I mainly play jazz, soul, a bit of blues. My own compositions are sort of.. ambient stuff which kind of ranges from Bill Frisell to Isis influenced things, and prog in the vein of Opeth and Porcupine Tree. I'm looking for something in the vintage-ish range that can sing under a lot of gain too. It's going in an Alder Hardtail strat with a rosewood fretboard. Guitar is pretty even sounding, but being a hardtail it sounds a lot more solid and less 'bouncy' than a regular routed strat. Therein lies the problem; it means that scooped sounding neck pickups end up sounding extremely dead in this guitar (as did the cool rails, I noticed as I started playing with gain sounds again) so the 59n is definitely out, I'm definitely looking for something more lively. I also don't really have the facilities or equipment at all here for mag swaps, nor is there a simple way to get them from where I live so I'd prefer a stock pickup suggestion if at all possible.
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Re: What neck humbucker for a 59/Custom Hybrid?

Hm, something with an A2?
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
      In my band I mainly play jazz, soul, a bit of blues. My own compositions are sort of.. ambient stuff which kind of ranges from Bill Frisell to Isis influenced things, and prog in the vein of Opeth and Porcupine Tree. I'm looking for something in the vintage-ish range that can sing under a lot of gain too.
      A broad range, huh? I'd say Full Shred. I won't hesitate to go with Phat Cat though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
        Hm, something with an A2?
        Ah, how about something with an A5, that'll be more like the bridge. The '59/Custom hybrid is pretty bright, and a neck PU that's fairly warm is going to give you the '498T/490R effect' which frustrates many players: it's so hard to get one amp EQ setting that sounds good for both PU's. I'd pair it with a '59N or Jazz.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
          A broad range, huh? I'd say Full Shred. I won't hesitate to go with Phat Cat though.
          I've been hearing good things about the full shred neck, though what do you think of the accusations that it's kind of sterile? Again, I think this guitar really needs a lively pickup to push it.

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          Ah, how about something with an A5, that'll be more like the bridge. The '59/Custom hybrid is pretty bright, and a neck PU that's fairly warm is going to give you the '498T/490R effect' which frustrates many players: it's so hard to get one amp EQ setting that sounds good for both PU's. I'd pair it with a '59N or Jazz.
          Yeah you are right there. I'm just worried that the lack of mids in the A5 pickups might, again, leave it sounding kind of dull. I've had that issue with this guitar for a while, even when it was full of single coils, the SSL-1's ended up sounding really dull.

I heard some clips earlier of the PGn that sounded amazing, and I know it has a reputation as a bright pickup with some bite/liveliness, would it be a suitable match? (I know it's A2, contrary to what you just suggested)
          Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
          I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
          Andrew - None

Comment

A 59
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've been hearing good things about the full shred neck, though what do you think of the accusations that it's kind of sterile? Again, I think this guitar really needs a lively pickup to push it.

Yeah you are right there. I'm just worried that the lack of mids in the A5 pickups might, again, leave it sounding kind of dull. I've had that issue with this guitar for a while, even when it was full of single coils, the SSL-1's ended up sounding really dull.

I heard some clips earlier of the PGn that sounded amazing, and I know it has a reputation as a bright pickup with some bite/liveliness, would it be a suitable match? (I know it's A2, contrary to what you just suggested)
              A5 PU's have more mids in the neck slot, due to the increase in string energy there. PGN's are pretty rounded in warm woods (more 'lively' in brighter woods); it's PGB's that are fairly bright.

Full Shred in the neck is a good option if you want something more aggressive.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

For the most articulation and clarity in the neck I always like the Jazz model.

Comment

Well, someone's sterile is someone else's precise/transparent/no color. That's what I can think of it. I don't know exactly what you mean about lively. Does it mean 'character' as opposed to sterile?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Marceau View Post
                    For the most articulation and clarity in the neck I always like the Jazz model.
                    yep.^ ^ and a 59n with a5 can be scooped in some guitars. To the OP: i know you are not into mag swaps or customizing pickups but mag swaps are cheap and easy and you can really fine tune your sound with that option available. Seymour Duncan does it himself, as do most pickup designers. He has the same exact pickup (coils, winds) with different magnets only and calls the pickups completely different names. And they have completely different sounds... Because once you swap mags, they become completely different pickups.

Comment

Working...
                    X