New Pickup Day For My Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pickup Day For My Les Paul

I think the 57+ bridge in my Les Paul Traditional is a bit bright and I could use a bit more power. I love the 498T in my SG and in my buddy's LP Classic so I thought why not give it a try. I got the 498T for $45 and I had a $20 PayPal balance so this is a painless purchase. The pickup is reading 13.83 right around where I want to be for my hard rock and metal stuff. The funny thing is the guy shipped the pickup in a SD Brobucker box, was it one of you?

Last edited by Securb; 01-10-2014, 07:04 AM.

Re: New Pickup Day For My Les Paul

not i. i'm thinking maybe ayrton?

what's a 59+ dude, do you have a ceramic in there?

Comment

Sorry about the typo. It is a Gibson 57 Classic Plus it is the stock pickup with an Alnico II and maple spacers. It is a great sounding pickup but not my cup of tea, not enough bite for hard rock. I do have a question for the pickup gurus out there. The swap was easy enough but the 489T came with a nickel cover, I have chrome on my Les Paul. When I tried to swap covers the 57+ chrome cover didn't fit on the 498T, it was slightly too big. I know they are both bridge pickups the 498T doesn't come in a neck model. The poles line up perfectly with the strings and it sounds killer. I am just wondering what I should be looking at for a chrome cover for the 498T and why didn't the 57 cover fit?
      Last edited by Securb; 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM.

Comment

cool
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It's funny. I was just recommending the 498T in the Basswood guitar thread. Not everyone likes the 498T, but it is a good pickup. It's like a thicker angrier Custom 5.

As for the covers, I'm surprised that the 57 Classic + cover is a different size than the 498T. I had thought all Gibsons had the same size cover. I know Duncan and Gibson are a different size though.
          Just go to GC or Sam Ash and bring your guitar or the 498T, and buy the chrome cover that fits it.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I knew I was going down a slippery slope with this. I love the 498T in the bridge it has the balls and girth I wanted. Of course now I am not happy with my middle position sound. I love the PG neck in my Strat, how do you guys think the PG will match up with the 498T?

Comment

I have never said the 490 OR 498 were bad pickups. As many though, I think it's a bad SET. I also can generally find something specifically better for whatever I want.

I like the Thicker/Angrier C5 description. I don't want a C5 - let alone a thicker/angrier one.
              Last edited by Aceman; 01-10-2014, 07:03 PM.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If the '57 Classic + isn't quite enough for you, give the Angus Young Signature a go. I did just that in an SG (imagine that) and it is brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                X