SH-6b in Squier 51?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-6b in Squier 51?

What would be the appropriate wiring diagram for putting this pick up into this guitar?

Re: SH-6b in Squier 51?

It's a very new concept to me and I really just need the diagram and tge process broken down

Comment

I personally love the distortion , ok so are your pickups still in the guitar? if so here's a bit of help.

so on a seymour duncan distortion you've got 5 wires if bare is included if memory serves me right so this means
      black - selector switch
      green / bare wire - to the ground of your guitars volume potentiometer on that big blob of solder
      red / white - these wires serve no purpose unless you want custom stuff. Most guys I know who know only the basics solder these together and tape them off so they don't short anything.
      on other pickups such as dimarzio , lundgren and so forth they have different color codes so always check before you solder

so the process is simple
      *take the strings off of the tuners and tape them off
      *take the pickguard off and make sure to only get the screws holding the pickguard together
      *heat up the soldering iron and touch the iron with a stick of solder and see if it turns the solder to liquid on contact (very important)
      *unsolder the ground wire that attaches to the claw which is that piece of metal inside the back of the guitar that the backplate covers
      *unsolder the two wires from the input jack , you've got two so label them. One is ground and one is your hot lead .. I'll explain later don't worry
      *put the new pickup into the right place in the pickguard , the old being attached still is no problem , we're going to disconnect it soon just make sure it doesn't scratch anything
      *trace the wires back to only that pickup with your eyes , it's probably 2 wires as most squiers I've seen only got 2 wires
      *start with the selector wire in the pickup first , touch the iron near the metal contact that is holding the wire and it'll make the contacts solder on there go to a liquid form so gently pull the wire out .. easy right? ok next
      *unsolder the ground wire from that pickup only , if any others come undone re-solder them back in

ok? so far so good?

soldering the pickup in
      look at the color code one more time for assurance
      *solder the red and white wire together , put a piece of electric tape around the end of the red/white wire to make sure they don't short anything
      *solder the green and bare together
      *put the selector wire back into the place if the solder isn't there any more put more onto the place , the lug on the contact will keep the wire here making it a 2 hand job still
      *solder the ground wires in (black and bare)

testing?
      you've now got life in the new pickup.. but test anyways , plug the pickguard into an amp through the input jack. no strings or guitar needed at this point. You won't get electricuted doing this so don't worry about on prior to or off. But what you want to do is put the pickup in the bridge position as that is the pickup we want and lightly tap a screwdriver or something metal on top of the pickup. If you hear a tap you're almost done. Switch around on the selector to the 2nd position to see if you still hear that tap, just be sure everything sounds the way it should.

ok lets put the pickguard back on the guitar
      *you've got two ground and one hot lead that are hanging out of the pickguard
      *trace back the wires notice how there are two different colors? yeah its for a reason!
      *the two long ones that are different colors go to your input jack , this can be tedious to hold so get a friend to help if you can. Or use a roll of tape or something to hold it in place
      *so how do we know which goes where? easy , ground is the blob of solder on the back of your knobs. That one goes to the part of the input jack called sleeve which gets its name because it looks like a sleeve. The other wire is your hot lead which comes from the middle of the volume potentiometer. This goes to tip which doesn't look like a sleeve.
      *finally we've got to ground the electronics to the guitar to remove the feedback. On the back of the tone potentiometer (one with a green piece of plastic on it). Feed it through the other hole in the guitar back to the claw of the tremolo , no wrong way to do this just encapsulate it in solder.

so now just put on the strings on and give it a shot. Rule of thumb the closer the pickup is to the strings the higher the output

soldering tips
      what I tell people to do with soldering in the input jack again is simple, you don't want to put the wires on the edge of the jacks metal , that is a bad connection. It'll work but it can break down the road you want to do it and never do it again right? What you want to put the wire right through the hole in the contact when the solder is hot enough for the wire to pass through but get stuck into the metal. Pull the iron back and let the metal harden , it takes seconds and give it a slight pull and see if it's still there. For the base of potentiometers on the ground and so forth as long as the wire is fully encapsulated and moves as little as possible. Use your solder on the guitar as reference. Always remember to have a clean tip on your iron as well , a wet sponge does wonders to clean it off after you're done. This is a quick and easy job but still you want the iron to last.

good luck wiring the guitar up , pickups are way easier to install than I thought. Here's a diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	3s_1v_2t_5w.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	5773763
      Last edited by Tallwood13; 01-10-2014, 03:14 AM.

Comment

I'd modify the instructions above slightly, due to the 51 not being a Strat layout

Click image for larger version

Name:	squier_51-burst.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	5773764

There's no need to remove the scratch plate, just the chrome plate with the knobs etc on it

You can get away with loosening, rather than removing the strings - makes things much quicker

The selector switch is a rotary rather than a blade, but you still need to trace the wire that comes from the bridge pup to it

Keep a small piece of wet sponge handy to clean the tip of the iron occasionally as you're working
        Last edited by Chris of Arabia; 01-10-2014, 05:40 AM.
        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Working...
        X