banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing A Carvin C22B with a JB wiring question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing A Carvin C22B with a JB wiring question.

Hi ya folks,
    Im replacing my Carvin c22b with a JB in my maple neck thro walnut Carvin...I love the C22B, its a great pickup but i need something different in there and i went with a JB.
    The Carvin have a 3 mini switches for selectin pickups Hum/single/single configuration. Allowing to select all 3 pickups 0n/off etc...
    My question is, the Seymour JB got a bare wire where is the Carvin have none...The Carvin is wired green/white together, red on the mini switch and black ground...
    Shall i solder the JB exactly the same? and solder the bare wire with the black?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkl3ly1kg8...106_163823.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/17pusyjv3t...111_213450.jpg

Regards
    Last edited by Rabihz24; 01-11-2014, 09:13 PM.

Re: Replacing A Carvin C22B with a JB wiring question.

Don't solder the JB exactly the same.

I imagine you're using it only in series?

If that's the case solder the black wire where the red is soldered from the current pickup (where it's soldered to the switch I mean - the carvin uses the red wire as the end of the slug coil which is the same as the black coil for SD pickups), solder/tie the red and white wires together, and solder/tie the green and bare wires together and solder them to the copper stuff on the side of the control cavity.

edit:

caveat: the pickup may be a different polarity than the JB, so if the combined sound is thin/weak, just switch the black and green wires (e.g. black and bare to ground, red and white together, green to out)
    Last edited by jimijames; 01-12-2014, 12:01 AM.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Dont about seymour duncan JB, but recently i tried to install a 3-way on/on/on on my carvin DC135 HSS , but because od destroyed non-functional middle pup, effectively H-S, with DMZ SD/Carvin AP11, only to find out that the two were out of phase. I had to reverse wires on the carvin AP11 to have both the SuperD and AP11 in phase. So standard carvin and by the book dimarzio wiring result in out of phase. Don't know the case with Seymour Duncan.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
        Don't solder the JB exactly the same.

I imagine you're using it only in series?

If that's the case solder the black wire where the red is soldered from the current pickup (where it's soldered to the switch I mean - the carvin uses the red wire as the end of the slug coil which is the same as the black coil for SD pickups), solder/tie the red and white wires together, and solder/tie the green and bare wires together and solder them to the copper stuff on the side of the control cavity.

edit:

caveat: the pickup may be a different polarity than the JB, so if the combined sound is thin/weak, just switch the black and green wires (e.g. black and bare to ground, red and white together, green to out)
        Ah thank you so much for the info bud.
        So the wires color codes are different between the 2. Carvin red is hot and for Seymour hot is black. Got it....
        I sadly just discovered that i need mounting rings..The Carvin one have 2 holes on the top for extra height adjustment, pretty cool.

Regards

Comment

Yeah, from the look of it, the green and white wires are the end of one coil and the beginning of another, which is why you tie them together, but idk which is which.

If it's different phase (which seems to be the case here), then you can just switch the green and black and call it a day, I think. At least, that's what works with single coils. Switch the lead and the ground to get the right polarity.
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

the carvins are reverse phase from the fender I used in the center of my HSH RG
            the Fender is reverse phase from SD

that means they are phased the same as the SD

the wiring codes are different
            see here at Carvins site
            Carvin red is SD black
            Carvin white is SD white
            Carvin green is SD red
            Carvin black is SD green
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
            X