New Jazz Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jazz Day

Well guys a few days ago I was looking through a small guitar shop and saw a Jazz neck model and decided to buy it. I put it in my Les Paul, and it is pretty sweet. The cleans are great as you would expect. I far prefer it to the 59 with an A4 that was in there before. The cleans just see to be a little bit more alive, if that makes any sense, than they were through the 59. Under gain, I was surprised at how clear the jazz stayed. I was expecting it to get muddy and it didnt, which was impressive to me.

Now I will admit I have only run it through Revalver on my computer and a Vypyr 30w practice amp, so I reserve the right to change my opinion on this after running it through the Mesa Triple Rectifier when I get the chance. But so far it seems to be a great choice for anyone needing a good clean neck pickup. It performs exactly as advertised.

Re: New Jazz Day

I love the Jazz, it pairs so well with a demon.

Comment

Its my choice for a versatile neck Humbucker. I want to try the the Jazz Bridge too.
      sigpic
      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
      JFG Flying V,
      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

The Jazz SET is a highly underrated combo. Especially in an LP.

This thread brings up a couple of interesting issues:

#1 Is the Jazz THE pup for digital interfacing? Clear, balanced, articulate, moderate output???? Perhaps.

#2 Dicking with magnets is not always the solution. Pickups are a combo of magnet, wind, wire and amount. It is one variable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Getting the pup right in the first place is more important IMO.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
          I love the Jazz, it pairs so well with a demon.

+1

In a Les Paul! just put mine in a '91 Standard, replacing the stock 490R and 498T. It is now my favorite, I have had the guitar since '91. My previous favorite is a '85 Gold Top loaded with a pair of '59s. The GT has so much fret wear, that it is almost unplayable now. I do want to try a Demon in the neck soon too, I hear that is another cool neck choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

#1 Is the Jazz THE pup for digital interfacing? Clear, balanced, articulate, moderate output???? Perhaps.

#2 Dicking with magnets is not always the solution. Pickups are a combo of magnet, wind, wire and amount. It is one variable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Getting the pup right in the first place is more important IMO.
            By own admission by the Duncan Co., a Jazz with an A2 is actually an APH1.
            By own admission by the Duncan Co., The Custom, Custom Custom and the Custom 5 is the same p'up with different magnets.

And I could even still go on. Wanna more proof than that mag swapping simply WORKS?

You just need to find the right p'ups, and the Duncan Co. has'em in spades, of course!

Comment

The Jazz is definitely a go neck PUP for me as well. Have one in an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and had one in an Epiphone Dot Studio. It sounded great in both. Now, in Tele, Strat stylye guitars, it was a little too bright for my taste, but in a Les Paul style guitar it just works.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I need to try the Jazz bridge also just because. I definitely agree on the Jazz working for digital interfacing. The clarity and relatively lower output make it work well with digital gear.

Just for fun I am debating on putting the 59n in the bridge spot just to see how it turns out. Since the DC is so close to the Jazz I a wondering if putting an A8 in it might be a good idea. Of course properly getting the pickup height set will be vital to making it work.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                  By own admission by the Duncan Co., a Jazz with an A2 is actually an APH1.
                  By own admission by the Duncan Co., The Custom, Custom Custom and the Custom 5 is the same p'up with different magnets.
                  Yes yes, and a Distortion is ALMOST (but not exactly) a JB with a Ceramic.

But this IS my point. Swapping an A5 for an A2 in a Jazz doesn't change the sound a little and take some of the highs off. It changes the tone DRASTICALLY. Which, if an A2P is what you really need is awesome. A slightly less highs jazz, it isn't.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                  X