banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVH brand Frankenstein humbucker - does it have long or short legs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH brand Frankenstein humbucker - does it have long or short legs?

I was thinking of getting an EVH brand Frankenstein 'bucker. A buddy of mine had purchased one used on Ebay last year for his frankenstrat project though, and had to swap the baseplate because it had short legs and he needed a long-legged baseplate for an accurate franky replica.

I thought that all the EVH brand Frankenstein humbuckers were long-legged to be accurate to the original? Or was that only the limited $400 signed/reliced version?

If the regular production EVH brand Frankenstein humbuckers are short-legged, that's actually a good thing for me, as I'd need the short legs for the EVH Wolfgang Special I'd be putting it in to.

Just want to confirm before I drop the dough on one...
    "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Re: EVH brand Frankenstein humbucker - does it have long or short legs?

How does that pickup sound? For $10 more you can get something from the custom shop.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Alot of the frankenstein humbuckers I've seen on Ebay have been going for about $110 new.

Comment

I had only seen them for around $150 from online retailers. I don't know a soul that has actually tried them so I've always been skeptical. How did your friend's sound?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

And I can't seem to find is they are short or long legged. I would assume short since that and the wolfgang pickup are used in the evh guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
            And I can't seem to find is they are short or long legged. I would assume short since that and the wolfgang pickup are used in the evh guitars
            the only pickups in the wolfgangs are wolfgang pickups. To my knowledge, they've never put the frankenstein pickups in the woflgangs (for one, they can't without modding the baseplates by rounding their rectangular baseplates to match the rounded pickup routes on the Wolfgang). I modded a Dimarzio PAF for use in my EVH Wolfy by taking the baseplate off and dremeling the square corners round to match the curve of the bobbins. Worked great and only took about 20 minutes altogether. I just don't think that Fender/EVH would go to that trouble unless it was for Ed.
            Last edited by appar111; 01-14-2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I had only seen them for around $150 from online retailers. I don't know a soul that has actually tried them so I've always been skeptical. How did your friend's sound?
              His sounds really really good. Everything you'd want in a rock humbucker with a distorted sound. They don't sound that great on the clean channel, but clean up on the dirty channel really well-- to a really nice clean sound, actually.

My only concern is how it would sound in a hardtail EVH. I tried one in a hardtail humbucker tele a few years ago and it didn't sound as great with that guitar as in my buddy's superstrat. Not sure if it would sound different in my EVH wolfgang special-- it's a different body wood and bridge type than the tele I tried it in years before, which was alder with a strat hardtail bridge (vs. the Wolfy's basswood body and gibson style bridge).

Comment

I just did some more searching on Ebay and found a couple auctions that have side pics of the pickup out of the packaging and they're definitely short-legged now. They definitely didn't use to be, as my buddy had some of the older ones and never had to swap baseplates until this past year.

Oh well, that's good for me if I get one, because it'll be the right height and I won't have to swap for a shorter baseplate (but I'll still have to dremel it )

Comment

I'm selling an EVH Frankie in the classifieds at the moment. It has short legs.
                  http://www.lonephantom.com
                  http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by appar111 View Post
                    I just did some more searching on Ebay and found a couple auctions that have side pics of the pickup out of the packaging and they're definitely short-legged now. They definitely didn't use to be, as my buddy had some of the older ones and never had to swap baseplates until this past year.

Oh well, that's good for me if I get one, because it'll be the right height and I won't have to swap for a shorter baseplate (but I'll still have to dremel it )
                    Awesome. I'm glad you figured it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X