Noisy Humbucker Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Humbucker Problem

Hi guys, I know "humbuckers that hum" is quite a popular topic but I couldnīt find any thread that matched my problem.

I have a new SD TB-11 Custom Custom in my guitar which produces quite some hum if the volume is turned all the way up but the strings are blocked. Kind of like if you grap a guitar cable jack.
    When I play the noise seems to disappear (or I donīt hear it anymore) and it doesnīt get any different if I touch the strings or pots or whatever. It is just a constant noise if I turn the volume up and donīt hit a note.

I double checked all the wiring and grounding. Guitar is shielded properly as far as I can tell. I tried some other guitars and other amps. Other guitars produced also a little noise but with the CC it was the loudest.

Is this an internal error in the pickup? Or is the CC by nature a noisy pickup? Would be great to know because if something is wrong with the pickup itīs going back.

Thanks!

Re: Noisy Humbucker Problem

Do you use the same power outlets? Are your amps grounded? And yes did you try a diff guitar cable. Once i had this issue. My Strat with a new green cable into the amp NO NOISE. My Flying V with the same Green cable into the amp NOISE. At first I thought I had a grounding issue double checked everything. But everything was ok. I changed and uesd my old cables and no noise.
    sigpic
    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

The CC is a bit noisier than other humbuckers. I think it's because of the A2 magnet with high output.

Comment

^Noise has nothing to do with magnet composition or output. Whatever leftover hum in a humbucker usually comes from a) too much gain on the signal, b) the coil windings not matching each other PERFECTLY (near impossible); so the electrical + magnetic out-of-phase cancellations do not cancel everything. For cancellations to occur, the frequencies between both coils must be exact, but this is impossible do to the +/- 5% winding tolerance and the simple fact that the coils sit at different positions along the vibrating strings.

I have noticed the same thing mainly with pickup that accentuate any frequency set (bass/middle/treble etc) WAY above the others. The CC has a huge midrange spike, which I believe would in-turn accentuate any humming frequencies in that spectrum to more of an extent than the other humming frequencies. I have also seen the same thing reported on the JB, which also has a sharp midrange peak, albeit not as much as the Custom Custom.

What is your amp? The noise may be coming from there. For example, if you are using a 5150/6505, those amps are notoriously noisy in comparison to other high-gain amps. In that case I'd look into low-noise preamp tubes first, like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. Also, sometimes there is just too much gain where the original sound is already saturated enough, and the more gain you apply, the more hum is brought forward in the sound due to compression. In that case, just slightly lower the gain less and less until the noise becomes bearable.

Next is cables/amp grounding issues (maybe you should check this first though for safety reasons)/etc. If all else fails, a noise gate. The ISP Decimator G-String, while expensive, is probably the best noise gate out there.

Comment

Thanks for your help MyAccount879! I am using the 6505+ with a lot of distortion and even boost pedals! Therefore you could be right concerning to much gain in the signal. However, why are some guitars / pickups quiet thru my rig and the cc isnīt? I love the tone of this pickup and just want to make sure itīs not defect.

By the way I am already using a Boss NS-2. Furthermore I noticed, the hum only comes when the bridge pickup is selected but not if both pickups (2 Humbuckers) are selected together.

Comment

May I ask what other pickups you are using? The Custom Custom has quite a midrange hump that can contribute to noise, but if you have other midrange-heavy pickups that work no-problem, then we can further isolate possible causes for the issue.

Comment

The other pickup in that guitar is a SD ī59 (neck). I use JBīs and even Invaders. Funnily the Invader is the most quiet.

Comment

Then I'd check the pickup ground/shield wire first. Ensure the bare wire is secure/solidly connected to the baseplate, and then ensure the bare/green wires are secure/solidly connected to main ground wherever that may be (usually the back of a pot). This is assuming you are using a standard wiring.

Comment

As I said in my introduction, I double checked all wirings. Black to toggle switch, red and white together and green and bare on pot. I have the feeling that itīs the pickup itself, either because itīs just a noisy pickup or its not totally right.

Comment

I think most here have hit the main points, especially the high gain, that may be contributing to the majority of your issues. I would just point out that you may want to double check your shielding. I have a Chris Shifflett Tele that was very noisy (even at low gain). When I touched the strings, bridge, what have you, the noise went away. I knew the wiring was correct because I rewired it with new PUPs and pots myself (by the way it was buzzing completely stock as well). Eventually I sprang for some StewMac Shielding Paint, painted 4 coats of the black stuff in the control cavity, completely shielded the pickguard with Aluminum foil (i swear the stuff works better than copper tape and is way cheaper), and put it all back together. Short of diming my amp and all of my OD pedals at the same time, I can't get the thing to buzz now.
                    Last edited by njstoehr; 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I just did another test with less gain. Almost no hum and on the clean channel nothing at all. Seems to much gain for the CC was the problem. Thanks MyAccount879, you helped me a lot!

The question is wether to use an other pickup or less gain. Any other ideas?

Comment

Check the pu with the multimeter -- it's possible only one coil is running. Or an easier test is just plug the guitar into the amp and tap the slugs, then the screws. If one is a lot louder than the other, the other one isn't running.
                        Generic signature line.

Comment

I have seen this topic of 'Noisy CC' come up from time to over the years on this forum....Makes me believe it is something inherent in the pickup itself...

Here is a thread from '07 that 'strectched to 2013' to give an example....

FACT or FICTION???
                          _

Comment

Originally posted by WingerManiac View Post
                            I just did another test with less gain. Almost no hum and on the clean channel nothing at all. Seems to much gain for the CC was the problem. Thanks MyAccount879, you helped me a lot!

The question is wether to use an other pickup or less gain. Any other ideas?
                            No problem!

Personally I'd go for the less gain problem, but you could also look into taming the inherent 5150/6505 noise which should be an improvement for every guitar.

As a side note, in my personal experience I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people sometimes use more gain than they need. I completely understand wanting a high gain sound, but for rhythm especially, try taming it back a little bit. For leads, go nuts really. I just wouldn't want so much gain that it gets mushy.

Comment

one thing i've learned only recently, which you probably already know

every "hot" lead has to be shielded and grounded

no matter what the length of the lead
                              good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Working...
                              X