Help me out here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me out here...

Ok, I'm going to have GMW guitars build me my dream guitar that I could never afford in the '80's, lol. I'm leaning toward an Alder body (still toying with maple but will probably go Alder), maple neck w/maple fingerboard. I usually use rosewood fingerboards but I want to try maple. It will have a Floyd, 1 HB, and 1 Hot Stack or Hot Rails in the neck, with a push-pull pot (I may go with a 3-way switch, haven't decided yet). I want a Van Halen and Lynch-like tone and I've read that to get the tone I want (Back for the Attack and Under Lock and Key) I need to get Distortion b/c that's what Lynch used. I've also been leaning toward a lesser output pickup (I know thats what Van Halen used and is using now). Not sure which way to go, though. My rig is a 5150 w/Randall 412 (70 watt celestions), SD-1/808 modified Super Overdrive by Analogman, Crybaby, DD-3, CH-1, NS-2, BBE 401, Alesis Nanoverb. I don't run the gain over 6 on my 5150. I love the sound of my JB in my LP. I've also read lately that Charvel is putting SD 59's in their guitars. I want a big percussive sound, good bite, great harmonics, clarity, and plenty of chunk for rhythm. I don't want much, do I? (lol!) I play mostly '70's and '80's rock and metal. What do you guys think? Any suggestions, opinions, recommendations? Thanks for your time.

Mark

Re: Help me out here...

I actually think the Distortion would work real well with your rig... Or if you did want something lower output go with the JB...
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by LP82
      I want a big percussive sound, good bite, great harmonics, clarity, and plenty of chunk for rhythm.
      Isn't that the tagline for the Screamin' Demon, nearly word for word? You'll hear me say less than wonderful things about it, but that's as an extremely high gain pickup. It's pretty sweet for less "extreme" applications. Bear in mind, it has an EXTREMELY misleading name.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Yeah that is pretty close to the tagline for the demon... But my expierence with it didnt live up to it... Great for leads... didnt like the rythm tones I got though...
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
          Isn't that the tagline for the Screamin' Demon, nearly word for word? You'll hear me say less than wonderful things about it, but that's as an extremely high gain pickup. It's pretty sweet for less "extreme" applications. Bear in mind, it has an EXTREMELY misleading name.
          I didn't mean it to come out that way, but you're right. I like those qualities in the Demon (percussive, bite, clarity) but it doesn't get good harmonics. My JB gets much better harmonics than the Demon. The Demon also sounds a little too muddy for me on rhythm. I may go with a JB or the Distortion. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the Demon.

Comment

Ever tried the Custom? Extremely versatile, excellent sound.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
            X