Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Duncan Distortion neck

Hi,

I have used the DD neck in the bridge position of a guitar, but never in the neck position ironically. I sold the pickup, so I cannot check it out.

What does it sound like in the neck position of a set-neck mahogany guitar vs a bolt-on super strat? All I have been able to find so far is that it matches up great with the DD bridge, that it is rather full sounding but cuts well, and that it is somewhat vintage sounding (to some ears) despite the ceramic magnet.

Thanks!

Re: Tell me about Duncan Distortion neck

I have never used it in a super strat style guitar, but I currently use one in my Les Paul. I wouldn't call it vintage sounding, it is clear and open though. Kind of bright for a neck pickup. I can almost get some "pseudo-stratty" tones out of it. It definitely cuts, and it thickens up nicely as you roll your tone knob back. I like it, its a great pickup, but I am about to switch it out for an A4 Burstbucker since I've been wanting something a little more PAF-ish.
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Thanks! I have an SG Special with Seth Lovers which are awesomely clear and classic sounding. I'm looking for something less classic rock and more classic 80's metal / hard rock.

Comment

FYI...amp & speakers are Traynor YBA-1 and 4x12 with Celestion G12-65's.

Comment

Maybe a Screamin' Demon?
          Originally posted by Rockstar216
          Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
            What does it sound like in the neck position of a set-neck mahogany guitar vs a bolt-on super strat? All I have been able to find so far is that it matches up great with the DD bridge, that it is rather full sounding but cuts well, and that it is somewhat vintage sounding (to some ears) despite the ceramic magnet.

Thanks!
            I have a pair of DD's in my Schecter Blackjack. Set neck Mahogany body and neck. It's killer. What else can I say?

It's one of the few guitars I have that will never be sold or modded any farther. I use a 3-way switch with the middle position being my "virtual 3rd" pickup. (Neck screw coil in series with the bridge stud coil.)

You really can't go wrong with a pair of DD's. IMHO.

Artie

Comment

In my experience it sounds absolutely nothing like most neck pickups which is why I like it. It's the opposite of that smooth creamy sound and is really clear. Out of the neck pickups in my current guitars (distortion neck, black winter neck, invader neck, 89R and blackouts neck 7) the Invader neck is the most similar with probably the black winter being the most smooth creamy out of them all and the DDn being the least.

Comment

Working...
              X