banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a custom shop catalog of sorts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a custom shop catalog of sorts?

Originally posted by superpete View Post
    i don't know how SD does it, but if i had a custom pickup shop and the skills of MJ, the LAST thing i would ever do is just put up all the material i had to work with and let end users pick and chose what they wanted. Thats why MJ is so highly regarded; she knows what makes a pickup sound good. I would assume it's easier to just say "what do you want the pickup to sound like? what do you use now? what do you like about it? What don't you like?" and use my years of experience to make exactly what you need for your rig, rather than what you think will sound cool. You get it right the first time as opposed to having a bunch of pissed off end users who think your custom shop sucks because they made a 27k alnico 2 with invader poles and a rail that on paper they thought would sound sweet and instead is the worst pickup ever made.
    Yep.

It might be something of they are wanting for people to be able to ask for a different magnet or to be able to ask for a hybrid, as not everyone is comfortable doing that.

But

Its opening the door for a lot of self-proclaimed tone-sniffers to experiment with ideas that don't turn out and then waste the custom shops time by sending it back again and again.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
      In theory, you can get almost anything you want.
      I wish that was true, I sent an e-mail request to the custom shop and eventually got a reply stating that they wont make custom pickup covers for a P-Rail because they dont fit in conventional humbucker covers and that the cost to make would be roughly $3000 to make a mold. Scott Olsen had contacted me via the forum between the time I sent and received the e-mail saying that he would speak with the custom shop on my behalf and that they should be able to work something out for around $20. The NAMM trade show is going on so I've been told it is extremely busy for them.

I was hoping for a really simple chrome pickup cover with a slot for the rail and holes for the screw and hoped they'd be able to emboss thier logo in the bottom corner.. But it seems that at this point, isn't possible.

So I plan to order a crappy black plastic humbucker cover from Allparts which I've read will fit, it won't look nice, but it is what it is..

Comment

Originally posted by Gardener View Post
        I wish that was true, I sent an e-mail request to the custom shop and eventually got a reply stating that they wont make custom pickup covers for a P-Rail because they dont fit in conventional humbucker covers and that the cost to make would be roughly $3000 to make a mold. Scott Olsen had contacted me via the forum between the time I sent and received the e-mail saying that he would speak with the custom shop on my behalf and that they should be able to work something out for around $20. The NAMM trade show is going on so I've been told it is extremely busy for them.

I was hoping for a really simple chrome pickup cover with a slot for the rail and holes for the screw and hoped they'd be able to emboss thier logo in the bottom corner.. But it seems that at this point, isn't possible.

So I plan to order a crappy black plastic humbucker cover from Allparts which I've read will fit, it won't look nice, but it is what it is..
        that sucks. but in their defense, they could do it, it's just not econimcally feasible for them or you.
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

They don't match single coil covers to available humbucker colors.

i.e. You want green pickups in your axe and you rock a Hum Single Hum, you can have green Humbuckers but not a matching single coil.

For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Gardener View Post

Hence my use of the word "almost". I'm sure I could come up with a couple offbeat aesthetic requests that they wouldn't be able to accommodate as well, but they wouldn't apply to 99%+ of the requests that they get.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
              Hence my use of the word "almost". I'm sure I could come up with a couple offbeat aesthetic requests that they wouldn't be able to accommodate as well, but they wouldn't apply to 99%+ of the requests that they get.
              I've found solutions that are quicker and cheaper,.. but not as appealing. I was just wanting something special for the P-Rail, so that way I could still rep SD without completely covering it up. :P

Comment

It sounds like a cheaper route would be to ask the custom shop for a p-rail in a normal humbucker routing.
                 Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Working...
                X