Neck PU not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck PU not working

Recently got a used guitar in great condition. Neck PU not working. I put in a new switch. Nothing.

Would it be a dead pot?
    -IM

Re: Neck PU not working

Does it give a reading on a multimeter?
    "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
      Does it give a reading on a multimeter?
      I didn't word my OP properly, sorry about that.

I have not done a reading yet.

I had a brand new Mean 90 in there, didn't work. Put it in another guitar of mine, and it works great.

I just put a brand new Liquifire in the neck of the problem guitar, and nothing.

I'm assuming it's a dead pot or some wiring issue, but don't really know how to trouble shoot stuff like this.

Thank you
      -IM

Comment

Sounds like the pot it's wired to. Wire only the one pickup to the output jack of the problem guitar. No switch, no pot, just pickup to jack. If you get sound, wire the pickup to the switch, then the switch to the jack, but no pots. If that works, then wire the pickup to the switch then the switch to one pot (assuming the guitar has more than one), then to the jack. If you still get sound, wire the pickup to the switch, then the switch to the other pot, and that pot to the jack.

Somewhere along the line, you're going to find the problem.

For this type of testing, I strongly suggest a set of jumper/test leads (copper wire with alligator clips at both ends). This way you can test wiring schemes without soldering/desoldering every time.
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
          Sounds like the pot it's wired to. Wire only the one pickup to the output jack of the problem guitar. No switch, no pot, just pickup to jack. If you get sound, wire the pickup to the switch, then the switch to the jack, but no pots. If that works, then wire the pickup to the switch then the switch to one pot (assuming the guitar has more than one), then to the jack. If you still get sound, wire the pickup to the switch, then the switch to the other pot, and that pot to the jack.

Somewhere along the line, you're going to find the problem.

For this type of testing, I strongly suggest a set of jumper/test leads (copper wire with alligator clips at both ends). This way you can test wiring schemes without soldering/desoldering every time.
          Thank you for that. I actually sorted it out. Basically I was being a muppet. Amateur hour on my end. Anyways, guitar is up and running. Thanks man
          -IM

Comment

Working...
          X