golden age pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden age pickups

I saw those on stewmac.com, and was thinking about buying a bridge humbucker for my les paul. i know i've made a few threads about pickups, but these are cheap and supposedly pretty good. your thoughts?
    Defender of the Sonic faith.

Gibson SG Faded

Carvin Vintage 16 amp

http://www.lp.org

Re: golden age pickups

Depends on what you want. If you want a warm sounding pickup with a touch of mids then spend your money on a SD 59. If you want a clearer pickup with a touch less mids then go for the schaller golden 50. The golden 50 has a glassier sound and clean notes ring clearly and vibrantly. The notes sound very full without any mud or softness. I actually prefer this in my les paul in the bridge position. The 59 is an excellent pickup and warm, but I wanted something a bit clearer with a little bite. The 59 has a warm, almost creamier tone when overdriven. The Schaller Golden 50 will have a sweet crunch, instead, with the same settings. Perfect pickup for classic rock and country.

Both pickups are very similar and it just depends on what you want. Most people may not hear the difference. The schaller is slightly less middy and less warm, but clearer and vibrant. Under high gain, it sounds very similar to the SD Custom pickup. With too much gain, the pickup may be slightly microphonic and will squeal like a piggy in heat :P
    Guitars
    BastardCaster - Mahogany Strat with APH Bridge and single coils in neck and mid.
    Epi Les Paul Std. - JB bridge Jazz Neck (Love the Jazz, undecided on the JB)

Mullet - Crap plywood ibanez knockoff with high output bridge humbucker.
    P.O.S. - Microphonic P-90 pickup with surprisingly good tone. You can also use it as a microphone!

Amps
    1977 Marshall JMP MKII 2204 head / 1960 slanted 4x12 cab with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 G12T75's
    Laney VC-30 212

Comment

im sorry, i was talking about this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...e_Pickups.html

sorry about the confusion
      Defender of the Sonic faith.

Gibson SG Faded

Carvin Vintage 16 amp

http://www.lp.org

Comment

Ah, I guess Stew Mac doesn't sell the Schaller Golden 50 pickups anymore and have replace them with their own line. I have no idea how these sound like, but I'm sure they modelled them after the Schallers they were selling for a similar price.
        Guitars
        BastardCaster - Mahogany Strat with APH Bridge and single coils in neck and mid.
        Epi Les Paul Std. - JB bridge Jazz Neck (Love the Jazz, undecided on the JB)

Mullet - Crap plywood ibanez knockoff with high output bridge humbucker.
        P.O.S. - Microphonic P-90 pickup with surprisingly good tone. You can also use it as a microphone!

Amps
        1977 Marshall JMP MKII 2204 head / 1960 slanted 4x12 cab with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 G12T75's
        Laney VC-30 212

Comment

59's? warm????

hm, in my guitar they bite like a rabid dog
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
          X