ibanez pickups on an AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ibanez pickups on an AR

I'm thinking I like the new Ibanez AR, reissue. The higher end models AR325 and AR420 have the Ibanez Super 58 pickups, any guess to what they are like? Hard to find at the store.

"Super 58 custom pickups
    Super 58 custom pickups feature moderate output & vintage tone."

Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
    http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Re: ibanez pickups on an AR

The Super 58s on Japanese Artists are Ibanez's version of a PAF type pup. Supposed to be pretty good, I've heard them variously described as warm, creamy, and quite articulate. They also come stock on numerous other semi and full hollow guitars in the Ibanez catalogue.

For the last several years, there were no MIJ Artists (one new model returning this year though), so I don't know what the Chinese versions (and their pups) are like. I think they might be ceramic loaded as opposed to alnico for the MIJ guitars.

You can't buy Ibanez OEM pups aftermarket like SD, DiMarzio etc. Have to go used.
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I have an AS83, also made in China. The Ach1 & 2 p'ups in it are nice - I have no plans to swap 'em out.
      "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

oh cool, i was wondering if its worth it to buy the higher end models or just the lower one and change the pickups

Comment

*shrug* Play one and find. I could be *waaaaay* off base...

Comment

Afaik, the old Super 58s were Alnico 3, part of what made them articulate sounding. I don't think the new ones are, irrespective of their gracing MIJ or MIC guitars.
            Originally posted by dominus
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I tried the AR220 with the generic pickups. Guitar stores in the SF Bay area don't have the other models with the super pickups

Comment

Might sound better than with Single coils.

Oh wait...

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

More info about the pickups: http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst82...ustom-58s.aspx

Comment

Pickups aside, the new artists are not a patch on the old ones. I know i sound like an "old is better" cork sniffer, but play a late 70s/early 80s artist and its like night and day the difference to the current ones.
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-22-2014, 10:36 PM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Progbusters View Post
                      I tried the AR220 with the generic pickups. Guitar stores in the SF Bay area don't have the other models with the super pickups
                      .... aaaaaand?

Comment

I bought an AR420 for ****s n giggles, basically assuming I was going to return it. Enjoyed playing it in the store and loved that it came with the series/split/parallel options already.

Hated it thru my rig. The Super 58 Customs, or whatever, are decent. I personally don't like the bridge Super, so either it needs a new magnet or a whole new pickup.

The neck Super pretty nice, but it was still not quite there.
                        Also you should know, I am making these comparisons with Duncans and Dimarzios. I don't care if the Supers come stock, if this is supposed to be an Ibanez Artist series or mid/high mid range guitar, they should sound really nice.

They aren't terrible, in fact they are pretty nice, but there was always something missing.

As for the guitar, I'm gonna return it. I'm a big Ibanez guy too. The neck was meh, the guitar didn't ring acoustically.

You should still play one. I got mine from the GC in SF, on Van Ness. I got an insane deal, so thats why I bought one.
                        -IM

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                          .... aaaaaand?
                          Oh.. I found it to be tinny chirpy and fendery, not like the super hot cheap guitars in the store. Didn't know about the guitar until I did research after leaving. Then looking at my cellphone photo again, I realize it was not an AR but the older ARX.

Comment

Working...
                          X