Alnico ll Pro, not what I expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico ll Pro, not what I expected

hi wanted to know if you can guide me. I have installed a humbucker seymour duncan alnico II pro in the bridge of my hollow guitar, is a 55 ibanez AF,( I know, whatever), has neither no sustaine, volume, compared to the humbucker originally was bringing. seymour duncan has the cute high and some treble frequencies also means very cute, but nothing of low or volume or sustaine frequencies, and it is impossible to balance with the humbucker Nek. I've reversed the polarity and there was some improvement but the fact that for the price you pay I think that should sound better. I guess wire is wrong way, or this is how it's supposed to sound this humbucker?

Re: Alnico ll Pro, not what I expected

Make sure your WHITE and RED leads are soldered to gather and that it is a good solder joint.
    also make sure your GREEN wire is tied with the BARE wire to GROUND.

Sounds like you are not getting a proper ground on your new pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by audiocheck View Post
      Make sure your WHITE and RED leads are soldered to gather and that it is a good solder joint.
      also make sure your GREEN wire is tied with the BARE wire to GROUND.

Sounds like you are not getting a proper ground on your new pickup.
      what I have done is to use the old humbucker wiring. the old humbucker had only two wires, and I installed the Alnico has four cables. So what I did was to solder wires grownd to grownd & the hot wire to hot. And solde each other the two wires shown in the d seymour duncan diagram

Comment

what I have done is to use the old humbucker wiring. the old humbucker had only two wires, and I installed the Alnico has four cables. So what I did was to solder wires grownd to grownd & the hot wire to hot. And solde each other the two wires shown in the d seymour duncan diagram

Comment

Does it look like this?

I think you perhaps should look carefully again at your wiring. It sounds like you are only running on one coil. The APH should sound nice, thick and syrupy.

While you are re-checking....did you replace all the electronics with good quality controls from CTS, Bourns or at least Alpha brand pots (500k audio pots)? Also, switchcraft switch, plug and sprague capacitor will make a difference too.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Giye Lacras View Post
            You can do that but you've got it wires wrong it sounds like. The red and white MUST be soldered together and wrapped in tape. Then solder the green and bare to the ground.

You can't solder both coil grounds to ground and both hots to hot and get the classic series humbucker sound. Best case scenario try run in parallel, worst you only get one coil.

Use Gibson175's diagram to make sure you've got it right. Did you only buy the bridge pickup? If so and the middle position sounds nasal after you get the bridge running flip the green and black wire's solder points to get it in phase.
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I agree with above. following stock wiring isnt always the right way to go. diff pickup brands have the wires colored diff. I learned that the hard way that even Dimarzio and SD use a diff layout IIRC.
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

English:

The wiring is most likely incorrect. Make sure the RED and WHITE wires from the Alnico II Pro are soldered together, then insulated/covered with tape to make sure the RED and WHITE connection does not short out.

Then make sure the BLACK wire from the Alnico II Pro goes to the switch as shown in the above diagram. The GREEN wire and BARE wire both go to ground, which is usually on the back, metal casing, of the volume and tone potentiometers. Also, make sure all solder connections are secure joints, and not "cold solder joints".

Español:

Es más probable correctos El cableado. Asegúrese de que la ROJA y los cables BLANCOS de los Alnico II Pro están soldadas entre sí, y luego aislar / cubiertos con cinta para asegurarse de que la conexión de rojo y blanco no se corta a cabo.

Luego asegúrese de que el cable NEGRO del Alnico II Pro va al interruptor como se muestra en el diagrama anterior. El cable verde y cable desnudo ambos van al suelo, que es por lo general en la parte posterior, carcasa de metal, de los potenciómetros de volumen y tono. También, asegúrese de que todas las conexiones de soldadura son uniones seguras, y no "soldaduras frías".

Comment

I have not changed the pots.
                  I use the old wiring. consisting of an inner cable (hot I guess) and the outer (ground).
                  I have red & withe soldier. & Tape.
                  I soldered the black wire to the hot wire.
                  Green & bare together. ground cable.

malfunctioned.
                  there is some other way to wire?
                  is a mistake to use the old wiring?

Comment

Pull the pickup out and check it with a multimeter.
                    Generic signature line.

Comment

Guiye, si buscàs en Mercado Libre, encontraràs quien te pueda ayudar:

HTH,
                      Last edited by LtKojak; 02-12-2014, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Just be sure you've tried pickups height in depth.
                        Your lack of sustain sounds to me as you having those pickups very close to strings, which acts as a brake stopping the vibration of your strings.
                        Try to step by step lower such a pickup (both sides at a time).

Then, work on the neck pickup to balance output.
                        Maybe, the neck pickup is way hotter than bridge pickup, which usually doesn't works for a balanced axe.
                        Maybe you can swap neck and bridge pickups and see if you get a better solution.

--
                        Giye, creo que tienes las pastillas demasiado cerca de las cuerdas. Esto actúa como un freno que detiene la vibración de la cuerda, lo que implica que se pierde: ataque (la cuerda no vibra en su máxima amplitud), volumen (la vibración se detiene muy rápido, así que el volumen medio baja), sustain (menos vibración, menos sustain).
                        Intenta bajar poco a poco la pastilla del puente, hasta que te suene fuerte, clara y definida. Un cuarto de vuelta de tornillo por cada lado, cada vez.

Otra posibilidad es que tu pastilla del mástil sea demasiado poderosa, lo que hace imposible equilibrar el sonido de la guitarra.
                        Una posible solución es que montes la del mástil en el puente y, viceversa
                        Last edited by hermetico; 02-12-2014, 06:35 AM.
                        My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                        My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

I think I know WHY your pickup isn't what you expected.

The original pickups are CERAMIC: VERY high output.

Alnico2=weak, blues, vintage character, strings, wood
                          Ceramic= heavy, full, lots of output
                          Alnico 5 = halfway, a little bit of both

You probably hooked it up right. It won't balance with the neck pickup because that is like a delicate Vintage bridge with an almost heavy metal neck pickup.
                          Nobody likes the original Ibnz bridge p/ups on that guitar: but the original bridge was probably VERY MUY CALIENTE much hotter than the A2P, because the A2P is a vintage style pickup=more string & wood,- instead of too much signal.

If you match it with an Alnico II neck, it will be probably be balanced.

Slash plays AlnicoII Pros: with his preamp volume on 2 and his mastervolume on 8- which is very very mucho loud.

So try the A2P bridge with amp very loud: see if it grows on you, if you like it. It will probably NOT sustain because it is a hollow body but maybe some mid notes will feedback if you stand in the right place (not too close to speakers.) But it will have more personality than the originals.

If you like the A2P, then match it to the neck pickup w/ an AlnicoII neck pickup.

Hope that helps.
                          Last edited by KBliss; 02-13-2014, 05:57 PM.
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••
                          4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
                          VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
                          Dunc Dist Demo
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

Comment

thanks KBliss. your coment was so exactly certain

Comment

Working...
                            X