Need help: Pearly gates too bright?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help: Pearly gates too bright?

I usually just lurk here, but after reading so many posts about Pearly Gates being bright, I figured I would share my experiences. I've used them in several guitars and experimented with electronics and have come to some conclusions - some may not agree, but here goes.

250k volume pots take the life out of them - even the bridge. The harmonics just don't seem as nice.

I had really bad luck with them on Ebony fretboard Les Pauls - YMMV. I was never satisfied with them with an Ebony fretboard with any pot or cap values. Rosewood always worked the best.

Quality covers smooth them out without killing the harmonics, but I like them better uncovered. (Would like to try an unpotted version some day).

They seem more sensitive to capacitor type for the tone control than any other pickups I've used. I had the best luck with large 630v poly capacitors - I always ended up using 22nF values on both neck and bridge. Ceramic or cheap 100v Radio Shack caps just never seemed to work for me in this application, although they've worked perfectly fine with other pickups.
    Last edited by BirdsOfFire; 01-28-2014, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X