No announcement yet.

Is there a potted antiquity humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a potted antiquity humbucker?

If you are concerned with unwanted feedback, try an alnico 2 magnet in a 59. It's basically a potted Seth. Its a very nice sounding pup for classic rock. It will also handle high gain quite well.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

I'm interested in the chime that antiquities have, I'm just worried about the noise. are there any users of it here?

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
        I'm interested in the chime that antiquities have, I'm just worried about the noise. are there any users of it here?
        Users of what, Antiquities? I use 'em in my R8.

Not sure I'd call ants chimey...

As for the "noise" I think yer really over thinking this...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post

Ant's aren't chimey, at least not in warm woods. Aged A2's have less treble (and less output) than fully-charged A2's, which don't have a lot of either. Ant's don't have enough high-end and bite for my tastes. But in brighter woods, they probably would.

What noise are you talking about? They're humbuckers.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            Ant's aren't chimey, at least not in warm woods. Aged A2's have less treble (and less output) than fully-charged A2's, which don't have a lot of either. Ant's don't have enough high-end and bite for my tastes. But in brighter woods, they probably would.

What noise are you talking about? They're humbuckers.
            I didn't explain... in comparison to pickups like Burstbuckers and the 49xs in my gibson, they offer more high end.

Comment

I think I've just gotten used to my jaguar squealing and think every non potter humbucker is like that. I've never played one. are they noisy?

Comment

This is very simple...

Will Ants squeal? Yes they will.

Do they squeal all the time? No.

If you plug into a rig, dual in a bunch if gain, crank the volume in a small room and stand in front of the amp they dill squeal but in those situations do can/will potted pickups.

Like I said earlier...I use Ants in my R8 with cranked amps, boosters, fuzzes, etc and have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Now...the chime , that's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have both Seths and Ants in Les Pauls. As others have posted, they will feedback, but in my experience it is always musical and controllable, and not the high-pitched squeal that is so irritating. I use Mesa Boogie amps in a Classic Rock and Blues cover band. I don't play with metal type gain--my lead tone ideal leans more towards Santana's singing sustain. And honestly, we're not super loud. So, it's not a pickup I would recommend for loud metal chugging.

You might want to think about the Pearly Gates set in your 335--this is a vintage-style PAF, and they come potted. The alnico 2 Gibson Burst Bucker #1 and #2 would also be a good choice. Aftermarket BBs are generally NOT potted, but factory installed pickups are. The BBs are a bit brighter and more articulate than the Gibson Classic '57, which are pretty darn good in 335s. And then you have the WLH set....lots of choices.

Bill
                    Last edited by Boogie Bill; 01-31-2014, 03:20 AM.
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I'm not looking for a monstruous gain sound. I sometimes like to use high output humbuckers so that I can hit the amp harder and have to push the preamp less, but the tone itself isn't very chugging.

Comment

Working...
                      X