Alt 8 in HSS sTRAT. What singles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alt 8 in HSS sTRAT. What singles?

I just picked up an Alternative 8 to put in the bridge position of my HSS Mexican Strat. I currently have a JB in there with a Cool Rails middle, and Little '59 in the neck..The guitar is pretty well balanced. It might sound strange, but out of 4 Strat's that I own, none have true single coils in them..I am thinking SSL5's might be the way to go. Anyone have any experience with this type of set-up? Also, how noisy are Duncan single coils? I have been using full size, and stacked buckers for so long that I'm afraid I'm going to hate going back to stock style pickups. Thanks in advance..

Re: Alt 8 in HSS sTRAT. What singles?

For strat singles in my opinion is you don't want them overwound because you start to lose clarity. The SSL-5 is a good solid single coil but as for noise it depends on the room and your rig and how well your cavity is shielded but their will ALWAYS be that 60 cycle hum that is unless you go noiseless.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Are you aiming at vintage sound? Or you don't care as long as the pickups are true single coil?

Comment

I don't really care if it is "vintage" per say, as much as being able to get those bluesy neck tones. The little '59 did the job for many years, but after playing a friends strat with a Dimarzio Area loaded pickgaurd, I am wanting some of those tones. The A8 bucker will handle all of my heavy tones well I assume..I want something that will be close in volume, but has that single coil jangle if that makes sense? I was thinking 1/4 lb tapped, but I think that's a little hot for this application..I will consider any option, but am trying to stay away from the single coil sized buckers this time..

Comment

Well, I guess SSL5 is a promising option then. Having said that, I'd suggest you take a look at STK-S6 and STK-S7 for noiseless option.

Comment

I have an Alternative 8 in the bridge with a bridge hot rails in the middle and a neck hot rails in the neck. Love it. I would say you can get a bluesy neck tone from that. Maybe a little hotter than normal but I think it still works.

Comment

I love the alternative 8 and love to use it with a set of quarterpounds or 'hot for strat' ssl3 in neck and middle. Yes they're hot but they match the smokin' hot alternative 8.

Comment

So I installed this yesterday, and after 30 seconds of playing I knew that I will never have a JB in a Strat again..The Alt 8 smokes! Sounds great clean as well which I was surprised by..The little '59 is not a horrible match either..I am going to take the advice on the above posts, and look into the stacked SSL6 for the neck.

Comment

Working...
                X