Help me identify this pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me identify this pickup

I'm gonna say from what looks like where the sticker was the mystery pick-up is older, maybe early nineties.
    Also the legs have definitely been cut and re-bent shorter than anything stock Duncan.

Comment

I'm gonna have to say a DD as well. Like Izzo said, the huge mag under those beasts will make the covers look all screwy. And that most definitely is an aftermarket cover on there. The factory covered DD's look much better.

BTW that is my favorite pickup combo ever, and you will enjoy it if it is a DD.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Finally got a chance to meter the pup, although it was an analog meter. I first tested the '59 as a base and it metered just under 8k. The mystery pup just over 8k. It could be a '59b, but not entirely sure. Also, if up I look closely at the top pic since the cover was poorly added you can see the bobbin is cream colored. Not sure if that mean anything. Thoughts?

Comment

Hm.

That's not a Distortion - those come up at about 16kohm.

The 59 bridge should read about 8k, though. There are a few other Duncan models that'll read ~8k in the bridge model, too.

I think you've got two choices: 1) put 'em both in, see how you like them, and tweak/replace accordingly, and 2) take the cover off, and inspect in more detail. As long as you're careful doing this, you won't damage the pickup. What you would be looking for is evidence of whether or not it was rewound: sloppy/no wax from sloppy repotting, sloppy tape application on the coils, etc.

But, if you're happy with how it sounds, I would argue "why bother?"

ETA: There's no reason 1 can't follow 2, regardless of what you find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
          Last edited by jtougas; 02-01-2014, 05:52 PM.
          "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

^ nah, the screw poles would be black.

acctally the screws on a screamin demon are chrome, the hex head screws are the ones that are black

Comment

Yada, It has the big Duncan logo without the MIA, so its made between 1983 and 1988.

FYI this is the timeline for vintage Duncans i built with the search function some years ago.

I still look for people to confirm or add something:

1. no backlogo, small tag without winder initial from late 70 up to ?
              2. no backlogo, small tag with winder initial from ? to 1983
              3. big backlogo without MiA, small tag with winder initial from at least 1983 to 1988
              4. small backlogo with MiA, small tag with winder initial from 1988 to 2002
              5. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with SN and Model from 2002 to ?
              6. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with date from ? to ?

When did the silk screen front logo come?
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
              X