Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson 498t pickup

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
    The main beef that guys have with the 498 probably has to do with the fact that the Gibson guitars that have it in them all use 300k linear volume pots, if they'd replace the pots with 500k's you'll get the real sound of that pickup. Most change them out without even considering the pot value.
    To me they're worse with 500K's, brighter and thinner, not enough body. The PU needs more midrange and less treble.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Of all the pickup swaps I've done, I've found that a Gibson pickup only sounds good in a Gibson, until I put a 498T in a Jackson Kelly. Gave that guitar a barking-dog tone, like it wanted to chew your nuts off.

Sadly, it was only that way in that guitar, and I do not get along with the Kelly body shape, so I sold it with the pickup in it.

Might be a good choice for an Explorer as well. Didn't put it in the Explorer I used to have.
      Didn't work as well for a Jackson Warrior, though. Probably due to the fact that about half the rear of the body is missing compared to a Kelly.
      Originally posted by Brown Note
      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
      My Blog

Comment

498T with an A2 to me is very useable in a les paul
        I have a 2013 studio pro that i have swapped the magnet about from the 490/498 set
        The 490 now has the A5 mag and the 498 has the A2
        A big improvement over stock. Mine has the gibby circuit board installed so until i swap this out for p2p wiring, 500k pots and decent caps i dont know the full extent !!
        Roseyp
        Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2010, Ebony Black.
        Gibson Les Paul Studio 2009 Wine Red, with Seymour Duncan A2 59's, 500k pots, Orange Drop Caps.
        Peavey Valveking 212
        Boss GT-10
        Rockbox Red Dog Overdrive Pedal

Comment

I am a big fan of the 498T I have one stock in my SG (uncovered). My Les Paul Traditional had a 57+ in the bridge that I was not happy with I recently swapped it out for a covered 498T and I could not be happier. It had that bark and growl that others have described. While some have described the pickup as bright it is definitely darker than the 57+ and I would not describe my tone as thin in any way.

Comment

I don't know what's wrong with that pickup, the 498. I had an SG with the odd pair 490/498. Gibson states it is one of the most powerful pups they make. It wasn't in my SG. It was thin and weak, so I swapped it for a lot of other pups. Even a PG had more power in the bridge position and the C5 definitely had although many people say it's almost the same pickup spec-wise.When I decided to put my SG up for sale, I bought a used set of 490/498 so it went back to stock specs. Same issue with the bridge pu.

I suspect that Gibson on some occasions either have mixed up the pairings, so that it has two 490's instead(but I have not measured, only a thought...) or have used weak A5 mags. I don't know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X