Magnets and adjusting to a new pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnets and adjusting to a new pickup

When doing a mag swap, am I correct when assuming that a magnet and pickup take time to fully "mature" once a swap has been done?

Also, the stronger the magnet, a less amount of time, and the weaker the magnet, the more time it takes to, well, get settled in and the tone finally adjusts?

Thanks
    -IM

Re: Magnets and adjusting to a new pickup

I feel like it takes a day or two to settle in, regardless of the strength of the magnet. All the metal in the pickup has to get used to the new field geometry and magnet strength, regardless of what that strength is. In my experience, whether switching from low power magnets to higher power magnets, or vice versa, it still takes around the same amount of time before the sound becomes consistent.

3 days max.

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
      When doing a mag swap, am I correct when assuming that a magnet and pickup take time to fully "mature" once a swap has been done?

Also, the stronger the magnet, a less amount of time, and the weaker the magnet, the more time it takes to, well, get settled in and the tone finally adjusts?

Thanks
      IME, two days for Alnico 8 to a full week for Alnico 3.

Some boutique p'up winders may go up to a whole month.

I don't have any science to go with this, but at least to my ears this phenomenon is real.

I don't know WHY it happens, I just know that it does; I can personally vouch for it, even at the risk of being ridiculed before literally hundreds of thousands of viewers in the whole wide world.

HTH,
      Last edited by LtKojak; 02-01-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I've noticed this before too, but assumed it was my ears adjusting to the new EQ of the pickup and nothing about the magnetic domain itself.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          IME, two days for Alnico 8 to a full week for Alnico 3.

Some boutique p'up winders may go up to a whole month.

I don't have any science to go with this, but at least to my ears this phenomenon is real.

I don't know WHY it happens, I just know that it does; I can personally vouch for it, even at the risk of being ridiculed before literally hundreds of thousands of viewers in the whole wide world.

HTH,
          Haha prepare to be ridiculed!

I'm kidding, what you hear, is, well, what you hear.

Thanks all
          -IM

Comment

I had wondered about this as well, but figured you guys would just say I was nuts again

When I did the mag/coil swaps I've done, the tone changed over the following week. I assumed it was due to the components adjusting to each other, but didn't wanna just throw it out there. Glad to see I'm not crazy
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

Working...
            X