Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower/Bypass switch with a twist...

Hi!
    So I have an ESP Eclipse that i will put passives in and ditch the emg's.
    I like tonal options but this guitar will be a rock machine so I will only use coil split for some versatility.
    But i would like a blower switch, or a kind of switch to bypass tone and volume controls. I've seen many diagrams around but it's always wiring a specific pickup straight to jack. I want something different.... I'd like to be able to use it with whatever pickup(or both in middle position) is active in the 3-way, including if they are split.

I would use a master volume and master tone with one of them being a push pull for split. Then I'm thinking a third push pull pot or on-on switch would take care of the bypass function.
    I thought about it and in my mind it should be possible unless I'm not seeing straight. Hope you good folks could have a look and confirm?
    Considering using the diagram below, where and how could i incorporate a push pull or switch that does what i want? It needs to be placed right after the 3-way of course so when pulled the hot goes through right to jack. I'm just not sure how to wire the rest so tone/volume circuit is active when it should be....

Wiring diagram: http://m.seymourduncan.com/site/seym...atics.php#2805
    Rek Custom Guitar (Duncan Full Shred set)
    Peavey Vandenberg Ed.2 (Tom Anderson HN3, DiMarzio Chopper)
    Peavey Vandenberg Custom Quilt Top (Stock pickups)

Re: Blower/Bypass switch with a twist...

Never mind, i think i found a diagram that'll work. It seems to be no problem as long as there's only one master volume and one master tone. Problems occurs when you use more than one of each.

Comment

You can do it with ease even with two vols and two pots.

If we number those DPDT pins as follows:

1 2
      3 4
      5 6

If you have 2 vols + 2 tones

you run each pickup hot to its corresponding vol input (3rd lug in your diagram) and tone input (middle lug).
      And from center lug of the pot to the pickup selector switch.

Then you wire the DPDT as follows:

1 - to neck's input in selector switch
      2 - to bridge's input in selector switch
      3 - from neck's vol output (center lug)
      4 - from bridge's vol output (center lug)
      5 - from selector switch output (hot) and jumper to 6
      6 - jumper from 6 and to jack's hot.

But, if you had 2 vols and one tone, there is no way you can bypass that tone with a DPDT, because 6 should go to tone's input also.
      But, you could do it with a 3PDT on/on instead or a Fender S-1 push/push.
      My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
      My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Oh, really? I have to draw that on paper to get a grasp of it.
        I'm sure you're right, i only assumed that what they said on this website was correct:

I quote here what they say:
        " Due to the complexity of the wiring of dual volume and tone control guitars, it is not possible to bypass 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls and 2 capacitors with just one DPDT switch so some compromise had to be made.
        One disadvantage is that, unlike the other 2 circuits, this "Solo Switch" can only activate the bridge pickup. "

Comment

Originally posted by ztevie View Post
          Oh, really? I have to draw that on paper to get a grasp of it.
          I'm sure you're right, i only assumed that what they said on this website was correct:

I quote here what they say:
          " Due to the complexity of the wiring of dual volume and tone control guitars, it is not possible to bypass 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls and 2 capacitors with just one DPDT switch so some compromise had to be made.
          One disadvantage is that, unlike the other 2 circuits, this "Solo Switch" can only activate the bridge pickup. "
          Well, you know, maybe it's impossible for him to figure it out or, maybe he was discussing about INDEPENDENT volumes, where rules change, indeed (but I should check viability, anyway).
          I remember that everytime I said it's impossible, in the past, then ArtiToo came and demostrate how easy it was.
          HA HA HA.

I've learnt to say "I actually see no way, maybe other can chime on".

Comment

Haha, yeah.... A lot of people saying "it can't be done" have been proved wrong through history.

I think I'll go with master volume, master tone anyway since I don't use tone that much and not middle position either. Then this push pull for connection directly to jack with a dummy pot. I'll have to use anoth dummy pot for the fourth control unless I find some useful wiring for that one too... Maybe you have some ideas?
            Anyway it'll be interesting to see the difference between going direct to jack compared to going thru volume/tone.

Comment

hermetico is correct with the wiring on this one.
              Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
              If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by ztevie View Post
                Haha, yeah.... A lot of people saying "it can't be done" have been proved wrong through history.

I think I'll go with master volume, master tone anyway since I don't use tone that much and not middle position either. Then this push pull for connection directly to jack with a dummy pot. I'll have to use anoth dummy pot for the fourth control unless I find some useful wiring for that one too... Maybe you have some ideas?
                Anyway it'll be interesting to see the difference between going direct to jack compared to going thru volume/tone.
                Differences you will probably feel are:

slight output bump, like to step over a +3dB booster
                increase of high end (that can go harshy, if pickups are harsh by nature).

About that phantom hole, what about a kill-switch?

Comment

Working...
                X