Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59n Ceramic

Hi.

Well, the following question has probably been asked before, now I'll ask it again

Has anybody tried a ceramic magnet in a 59n? Purpose is to get a little more power and overall presence when used with bridge pu, that is a Custom UOA5.

Looking forward to your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by madsschaarup; 02-02-2014, 11:58 AM.

Re: 59n Ceramic

Originally posted by madsschaarup View Post
    Has anybody tried a ceramic magnet in a 59n?
    I have, expressed orders from a customer from Hell. NOT good. Even he hated it.

Purpose is to get a little more power and overall presence when used with bridge pu, that is a Custom UOA5.
    What kind of tone are you trying to get, Mads? Name a song, a band or a player, so I'll have something to go for.

Comment

My main porpose is to give it a tad more output, so that it´ll balance bettter with the bridge pu, more mids would be desirable and maybe make it sound louder. Can´t name a particular song/band or player.

Comment

An A4 will get you a better 59n IMO.

What guitar? Woods?

Dude I cannot wait to finally put together a Custom UOA5. How are you liking it?

Also, a ceramic will compress a bit. Have you already tried messing with PU heights?
        -IM

Comment

My main porpose is to give it a tad more output, so that it´ll balance bettter with the bridge pu, more mids would be desirable and maybe make it sound louder. Can´t name a particular song/band or player.
          By putting a strong magnet in the neck, you're overpowering the bridge p'up, specially when the bridge p'up is an UOA5, a somewhat "weak-ish" magnet, obtaining exactly the opposite of the desired effect.

An UOA5 Custom will balance well with an A3 or an UOA5 mag in the '59n.

HTH,

Comment

I don't think an A3 is the right call. It's a pretty weak magnet and would be quieter than a stock 59n.

UOA5 59 on the other hand. Money
            -IM

Comment

Since the 59n already has an A5 mag in it, and any magnet stronger than A5 would overpower your bridge and turn the tone to pure mud, you need to get that little bit of extra beef out of the coils, something up around 8k.
              Generic signature line.

Comment

Have you tried raising the treble side of the neck pup?
                Originally posted by KBliss
                WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                Originally posted by trevorus
                The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Usually a PAF strength neck balances well with the hotter bridge, without any mods needed.

Comment

Oohh, maybe I should say that the 59 is a n/b hybrid with a plain A2 at the moment. I took out the A5 to get rid of the boominess. I'll try an UOA5.

Thank you very much so far :-)

Comment

If you really want more mids then stick an A4 in it and play with the pickup heights until the volumes balance. Boom problem solved.

Ceramic in the neck position is generally a bad idea unless the pickup was specifically designed for it (for example the DDn)

Comment

Dude I cannot wait to finally put together a Custom UOA5. How are you liking it?

I like it a lot! Nice crispy and crunchy, but not a monster. It really opens up the guitar, an LP Studio. I have found it quite difficult to find pickups for that guitar where both the neck and bridge sound good and cut through. I made a 59/C, which didn't sound particular good in the LP. Then I put it into an old Kasuga LP where it's absolutely fabulous. This Custom UOA5 sound really good in this guitar.

:-)

Comment

The UOA5 did the trick for me along with removing the covers. I now have both the before mentioned presence and balance.

Thanks for your input. Next up for me will most probably be a set of 59's with A4/A8 mags. I'll chime in around then ))

Comment

Working...
                          X