• Show
Clear All

• paf joe dimarzio+sh4 jeff beck

hello
    i have an ibanez guitar with Basswood body

paf joe+sH4 : is it a good choice?
    with split too but i don't know the sound of the sh4 split

some people said it was versatile

sh6 has more high mediums but the sound is metal and not the sh4 so it's difficult to choose

Re: paf joe dimarzio+sh4 jeff beck

Do you own either of the pickups yet? I think it would probably sound good. Used SH-4's can be found pretty inexpensively, and they are easy to sell if you don't like 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
      Do you own either of the pickups yet? I think it would probably sound good. Used SH-4's can be found pretty inexpensively, and they are easy to sell if you don't like 'em.
      i have played 2 times with the sh4
      1 time with sh6

i haven't tried the breed

sh4 has a big sound: i think it's perfect for crunch when sh6 has more gain and so, not very good for crunch sound

i think the best sound would have been the sh4 with a little more gain

the problem is that i don't know if the clean sound of the sh4 is very clean (but with the samples, it's better than the sh6)

i'm used to play with the split of the 2 pickups too and with line 6 pod farm too
      so the mix gave an acoustic sound with a simulation of an acoustic amp

i hope the sh4 can do that too

sh4 is included with most of guitars! but sometimes, i think sh6 is better than sh4

my question was about the wood: basswood has often dimarzio's
      evolution
      tone zone
      and not sh4

Comment

paf joe +sh4?

Comment

I had an JB on the bridge with an evolution on the neck in a basswood guitar. Don't know this Jeff Beck model but the traditional JB is awesome for rock, great response, good tone. Didn't like evolution though. I heard that a bridge JB in a mahogany body like a Les Paul gives you too much low frequencies, needing to adjust the rest of your set to compensate that.

I have a super strat with a paf joe in the neck position and I like it, it's paired with a dimarzio fred on the bridge and a virtual vintage blues in the middle, a lot of versatily, the only position I don't like is the bridge + middle. The neck + middle though it's pure bluesy. The combination of Fred + Paf Joe gives a Satriani's tone, of course, paf joe it was designed by Joe.

Comment

i saw all favorites dimarzio : tone zone, fred, mo joe, breed, evo and the conclusion
            is
            alnico +trebles at 8/9+outpout= it doesn't exist
            so
            sh4 come back ! even if i played with a sh6 and i was very happy
            but it was long time ago

i have paf joe+fred too but i want to change

in fact, paf joe is essential to satriani's tone but for the fred it was a long time ago too
            time to change to have more mids, output,trebles and basses

i'm afraid of the evolution : reviews are not very good and i haven't the set up and amps of steve via

i think sh4 is close to the sound of fred

mo joe is the new fred but i will not try this
            it's for joe LOl

Comment

and the mojoe?

Comment

I had a Fred once and it couldn't be more different from a JB. They both get screamin harmonics but the Fred is thinner sounding overall with significantly less output. The Fred could be said to have better clarity through a high gain amp. The PAF Joe and the Mojoe are both variations of the Fred.

Comment

Forgot to mention, both the Fred and Paf joe doesn't sound good split. Don't remember about the jb and evolution.

Comment

To the OP: Are you asking if a JB bridge and PAF Joe neck would be a good combination?

If so then Yes.

Or are you not liking the the JBs and Freds you already have and are looking for an alternative? Is this why your bringing back these old threads?

If so, your probably looking for the PAF Pro in all the wrong places. You might also be looking for the Seymour Duncan Full Shred set. Maybe the Perpetual Burn?

Comment

i've played with a fred for many years and i always wanted to change it because i was used to play with sh6 and sh4
                      but it is very difficult to choose
                      i think i don't want ceramic pickups
                      i wanted a dimarzio: :breed or norton
                      but both of theses pickups have more MEDIUMS, more bass (or low end) and only 5/10 for trebles
                      because dimarzio want us to set up this with the amp (i presume)
                      and i don't know if it's good

when i saw seymour duncan pups, i only saw the sh4 for me
                      full shred maybe (not very famous)

evolution: a lot of people hate this pickups because of the trebles even if harmonics are fantastics

the website said paf joe+breed/norton/fred

if you look at the pickup chooser? there another propositions, x2n and others metal pickups

for the splits: it depends on your amp
                      the cleans are not very cleans
                      split are good to make illusion and neck+bridge =good acoustic sound sometimes with a computer

with distortion all of this can be good with a good setting but
                      the total sound is not very warm and there is a lack of trebles

paf joe does the job
                      fred is thinner sounding
                      even for legato, more output is needed

Comment

maybe mo joe!! only 9 in dc resistance
                        17 for the evolution pickup 16 for the jb

ìs it important to have sustain,feedback ?

Comment

Okay I assume you want a dimarzio neck humnbucker to go with the JB. You want it to have clear treble, not get muddy, and be able to sing. In that case I would reccomend you go with the PAF Pro, not the PAF Joe. The PAF Joe doesn't get good reveiws but the PAF Pro is proven in the neck position or bridge position.

Comment

Hmmn, I'm a little confused. Do you have with you a PAF Joe or SH4 to put in your Ibanez?

If no then, well within the Dimarzio lineup there is the AT1 pickup, which is the andy timmons replacement for a JB, so it may be something to look into. As for the neck I don't know, never used a dimarzio neck HB. I do have a Super Distortion pickup which does not match up with the tone/EQ chart on dimarzio's website. According to them its rated for treble=5.5, but mine sounds like it has treble=7.5 in a basswood body/maple neck HSS strat.

It seems you have used the search function on this forum well, but some of those threads are a little too old & some new pickup models have been released since that time, so try looking for audio/video clips. I've found youtube to be more helpful than looking at a tone charts

Comment

no
                              my guitar has: paf joe (neck) +fred (bridge)
                              classic Satriani tone

the paf joe has a lot of good reviews : because of the harmonics and the fact that it can give some strat sound and some heavy shred sound in neck
                              versatile pickup with volume: i like it

i have a paf joe in neck and i prefer to keep it (too much complicated to change 2 pickups, seymour, dimarzio, too long to choose)

for example : a 490 in a sg gives a warmer sound, creamy and i don't know if a paf joe change will make some change or not

but now
                              in fact, the fred pickup is particular: MIDS are between a single coil and a hb
                              but it's time to change!
                              >
                              i would like to have a little les paul sound too but with a fast shred playing too
                              good split
                              better clean tones

i looked at a lot of videos and websites, review etc

i would like a pickup between gary moore (live montreux 90 for example), john sykes and satriani, sambora

so, between a mojoe, sh4 jeff beck, norton and breed
                              what's your choice and why?

my topic is brand new
                              and even if there are some new pickups (gravity), i prefer to see old pickups

when i see mo joe videos, IMO it has a les paul sound
                              Last edited by always SD; 04-19-2014, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X