Too Much Output: JB bridge/Jazz neck Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Much Output: JB bridge/Jazz neck Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean

Did you check your tubes? Your tubes might have gone microphonic. Check to see if they are frosted. If so they are. If not, get a chopstick and tap each tube and see if they squeal. Do not touch with anything metal or your bare hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nsatke; 02-13-2014, 03:48 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Too Much Output: JB bridge/Jazz neck Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean

Originally posted by nsatke View Post
      Did you check your tubes? Your tubes might have gone microphonic. Check to see if they are frosted. If so they are. If not, get a chopstick and tap each tube and see if they squeal. Do not touch with anything metal or your bare hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The Mesa Tremoverb was just serviced not too long ago so and the tech said all the tubes checked out fine there, the Peavey 6505+ head as well as my Marshall Artist 3203 heads were dropped off to the tech this past Saturday so I'm waiting to hear from him on those. I tried dropping the height of both the SD Jazz neck and JB bridge, the Jazz seems really bassy still and the JB still the piercing highs.. I'm thinking because the guitar is soo beefy and in Drop B with .010-.060 GHS zakk wylde strings I'm wondering if I should maybe get the guitar setup with Dunlop Heavy Core Gauges: 12-16-20-32-42-54 (still in drop B) and have my tech replace just the bridge JB with a SD SH-5 Custom?
      Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
      Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
      Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
      2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
      1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
      Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
      Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
      Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post
        The Mesa Tremoverb was just serviced not too long ago so and the tech said all the tubes checked out fine there, the Peavey 6505+ head as well as my Marshall Artist 3203 heads were dropped off to the tech this past Saturday so I'm waiting to hear from him on those. I tried dropping the height of both the SD Jazz neck and JB bridge, the Jazz seems really bassy still and the JB still the piercing highs.. I'm thinking because the guitar is soo beefy and in Drop B with .010-.060 GHS zakk wylde strings I'm wondering if I should maybe get the guitar setup with Dunlop Heavy Core Gauges: 12-16-20-32-42-54 (still in drop B) and have my tech replace just the bridge JB with a SD SH-5 Custom?
        If you're tuning to drop B, everything is going to be "bassy", raising the poles on the jazz under the plain strings should help brighten that up.

Comment

Move the JB to the neck, wire it permanently for parallel, and use 250K vol & tone pots for that pickup.

Put a Custom in the bridge with a 1M volume and tone.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

If you want to tighten up the bass on both positions and reduce output a little, I'd suggest a Full Shred set if you like A5. Leaves plenty of room for your bassist in the mix.

Comment

I could see those being the wrong set tonewise for that guitar, but not as far as output is concerned. Because my Black Winter set has been working quite well in my Korean built Epiphone Les Paul Custom (the guitar in my avatar pic).
              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                If you want to tighten up the bass on both positions and reduce output a little, I'd suggest a Full Shred set if you like A5. Leaves plenty of room for your bassist in the mix.
                A Screamin Demon is good for that too, which is one of the pickups Ive had in my Epi LPC.
                Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                  I don't know that much about the Full Shred?
                  Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
                  Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
                  Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
                  2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
                  1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
                  Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
                  Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
                  Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Working...
                  X