Pickup Suggestions: Charvel Model 5FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Suggestions: Charvel Model 5FX

Got questions about passive pickups for my Charvel Model 5FX? My Charvel is the only guitar I have with active EMG's in it.. It's in Drop B with Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's .011-.054's. It's got an Org. Floyd Rose, LSR roller nut, Kahler locking nut after the LSR roller nut, emg-85 bridge, slant SA-neck. I don't use the trem.

Compared to my Epi LP Custom, it seems like it's too weak/no balls and there's no clarity/note to note or string definition but I can tell you that the SD hot rodded pickup set in my Epi LP Custom, the Jazz in the neck is way too bassy and the JB seems really bright but seems like it has good low end. I had my tech put in a new 3-way toggle switch some time back (don't know what brand he put in) and when I go to switch to the middle position (both 85 & SA) or neck (SA only) there's a big volume/output drop? The EMG-81 that was in the guitar when I got it years ago is the old non-quick connect version, same with the SA. I want the pickups to be versatile enough in case later on down the road I decide to put it back to 1/2 step E tuning as well for 80's metal, classic rock, etc.

Some people recommended a Seymour Duncan Distortion TB-6 for the bridge position but then I wonder about the Alternative 8 SH-15, 59/Custom hybrid and the Custom TB-5? As far as the slant neck single coil, the tone wizard on Seymour's site is recommending a SSL-4 Quarter Pound Flat, do you guys think that would pair well? I'm thinking even if I have it setup again to 1/2 E tuning from drop B where it's tuned to now should be pretty versatile. Also, if I ever have it set back up to 1/2 E would one of those EVH D-Tuna's work, the trem cavity is recessed? What's some good brands to look at to replace volume & tone pot, 3 way toggle switch and output jack. I stumbled upon online those Seymour Duncan pots & EVH Bourns pots, anyone use em?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Re: Pickup Suggestions: Charvel Model 5FX

What do you guys think about a Seymour Duncan Distortion Trem-Speced (TB-6?) for the bridge position and a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails for the neck? Would that be a good combo?
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Should be just fine. The Distortion is actually a very versatile pickup.
      2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
      2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
      2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
        Should be just fine. The Distortion is actually a very versatile pickup.
        Yea I'm going to passive pickups on the Charvel and that's why I was asking cause it's in Drop B right now but in case I ever have it set back up to 1/2 step E tuning wanted to know if that pickup combination would still be good Also I'm obviously going to get all new pots, 3-way toggle switch (Black) and output jack, what should I go with? I was going to get 2 of the Seymour Duncan short shaft 500k volume & tone pots or 2 500k volume pots, 3-way Switchcraft toggle and Switchcraft mono output jack?

Comment

Well, Ola makes the Distortion scream in B. So you should be good there. Lynch made one scream with Dokken.

I usually use CTS pots, and have not had a chance to use the Duncans. 500k should be just fine.
          2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
          2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
          2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Found this pic online of a Charvel Model 5 FX that already had Duncans in it. Reason why I'm posting this pic is because some people were saying something about which way the wiring comes out of the neck single coil could be a problem when installing? Also I'm pretty sure the Seymour Duncan TB-6 Distortion comes with a black pickup ring, would that fit on my Charvel Model 5fx? Like I mentioned before I'm probably going with the Seymour Duncan TB-6 Distortion and a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails neck single coil, either the CTS 500K or the Seymour Duncan 500K volume & tone pot and Switchcraft output jack & 3 way toggle. Drop B tuning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Charvel Model 5 Pickup Picture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	5776510

Comment

On those single coil routes, the pickup leads came out of the underside of the pickup and down a channel on the treble side. The channel was not drilled from the center of the single route and then into the humbucker route as on some makers' models. At the time, one could find Duncans-a-plenty where the lead wire cam out of the underside on the treble end, and so were direct replacements for Jackson's pickups.

These days, however, they're all tailor-made for the Fender Strat S-S-S style route - the lead comes out of the center of the rear edge of the pickup (not the underside), even if the pickup casing itself doesn't have the old-fashioned Strat-style tabbed baseplate, the wire is still coming out of the same spot, which makes them essentially useless in these older Charvels and Jacksons.
              But oh, feel free to hack yourself a notch into the pickup cavity so they'll work.

As for the bridge, you'll need an oversized pickup ring, which can be found on Ebay or at a site called fretsonthenet. Dave there specializes in making oversized old-skool Charvel/Jackson pickup rings.

Which pickup you put in it is entirely up to you. Try several different pickup combos and find one that works for you (though as I said, finding a Duncan to replace the single-coil will give you issues).
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

Think I'm gonna go with a Dimebucker for the bridge with a Lil 59 single coil for the neck with an Orange Drop .047 cap, what you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                X