Pickups You Can't Bring Yourself To Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickups You Can't Bring Yourself To Change

Full Shred and the Woody HC I have in my Dreadnought.

Comment

I seem to always come back to the Custom. Usually stock, but sometimes with a big ceramic.

Comment

When I installed a Duncan '78 in the bridge of my H-H Strat I was shocked by how great it sounded. It's never coming out.
        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Duncan Distortion.

Comment

The Brobucker is kick ass, I have it in my Gordon Smith SG, all mahogany '57 ri and PRS. I did have one in my LP std but swapped it out for an AntA8 which I think trumps the Bro in that guitar.

Comment

I do not know that I can take the T-Top out of the neck of my #1 LP. Ever....even for a PG.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

SD Invader/BK Trilogies in Warmoth strat. It's a heavy sounding strat by the way. Very strong lows and nice highs! The Invader sounds monstrous in that.
                BK Holydiver/DMZ PAF pro in LTD MH400.
                WCR Fillmore / .................. in Ibanez RG.

These do not change from now on.

And now I'm going for a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 with Alternative 8/59n. I think that is going to be a heavy sound as well. I was thinking the Suhr Aldrich but the Alt8 was closer to what I'm after. From all the search so far I have collected in my mind all the characteristics I want my tone to have. The Alt8 looks like it's really close to that. And of course the 59n is a favourite.
                Last edited by Metalblaze; 02-05-2014, 03:58 PM.
                Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

The AT-1 in my Peavey Wolfgang. Tried 3-4 pickups in there besides the stock. AT-1 been in there for three years
                  Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                  Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                  Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                  Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                  Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                  Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                  1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                  Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I'm still amazed by the 59s I recently put in my Les Paul, along with Triple Shots and an out-of-phase push/pull. So much variety and it's all over my new record - beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've gone around the world and come back again.

For years I searched for the right pickups. Gibson, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, and private winders.

It culminated with the purchase of some Zephyrs last year that I put into a custom shop model.

A few months later I picked up a used MiM Tele with stock pickups.

I've concluded that as long as the pickups work, chasing the tone dragon as far as pickups go is a waste of time, and money. It really is. A set of pickups will sound different in 1 guitar vs. another.

If it ain't broke it doesn't need to be fixed, and variety is the spice of life. And no, I won't change out those stock pickups in that Tele or a MiM Strat I bought for 85 dollars. I just don't see the point of it anymore.
                      Pleased to Meet You...Hope You Guessed my Name...

Comment

The Dimebucker in the bridge of my Iceman. Whenever I am looking for full on in your face power that thing always delivers. That pickup is never leaving that guitar.

Comment

As close as I've come is the Jazz/Custom combo in my Les Paul Custom...
                          "Scalloped & Stickered"
                          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

A lot of people have never tried them, and I came upon them by chance, but the Schaller Golden 50's sound like custom made $300 pickups to me. And the funny thing is that you can pick them up pretty cheap. I have many of them in my parts drawer since I would buy them cheap when they would pop up on Ebay. I think if most players ever heard them, it would shock their ears due to how nice they sound. So I actually have them in a number of guitars, and I will keep them there.
                            1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

I have a Pearly Gates and Pearly Gates+ in my special secret weapon guitar that just slays. I can see them not jelling in a bunch of more common guitars, but in my neck thru Strat it's a match made in heaven. (no pun intended)
                              Custom neck-thru strat
                              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                              1995 PRS CE24
                              D'avanzo #8
                              Breedlove Solo Concert
                              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

The Slash pickups in my main Les Paul are perfect and exactly how I want a Les Paul to sound. And the STK-S6 as a Strat bridge pickup is completely perfect as well, and that will never change in my #1. I guess the set of EMG SAs in my other Strat counts too - those have been there since 2002 and I've never been tempted to replace them.

Comment

Working...
                                X