banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pearly Gates set in a Les Paul...having a ball!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates set in a Les Paul...having a ball!

I've started doing guitar repairs, set-ups and mods again.

My second customer wanted me to rewire his Les Paul back to stock. He had someone else put push/pull tone controls in it and he wanted it stock again. The guitar has a set of Pearly Gates pickups and the PG's sound great...he just doesn't want the coil splitting feature anymore. Says he's got a Strat for that tone.

But boy...I don't want to give the guitar back - the Pearlys sound so good!

I've always liked the Pearlys in a Strat, like the nickel covered Pearly in this video:

But in a Les Paul they're different. Uncovered, as they are in this Les Paul guitar I've been working on, the tone is more raw and textured than the smoother tone of a covered PG in a Strat.

The tone of the uncovered PG in this Les Paul is a little gravelly. Maybe that's what some guys call "bright"? I dunno - I don't hear it that way.

Almost wish I had a Les Paul of my own to put some in.

I've been playing his guitar through my old Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion speaker and that guitar just barks and overdrives the amp into a beautiful sustain at volumes as low as 3 1/2.
    Been keeping the amp's treble down to around 6.

Not to bright in the least. Never have found that to be the case - not in my own guitars and not with this Les Paul. And not with my amps.

Of course I don't use mondo distortion - just the natural overdrive of a vintage Fender amp when I'm using humbuckers. And I turn the treble on the amp down until it sounds right to me.

BTW, my first customer had me re-wire his MIM Strat with David Allen 60’s R&B pickups (his choice) and do the Carl Verheyen vibrato set-up with the angled claw.

Really like the Allen pickups - especially after moving the middle pickup tone control to the bridge pickup.

Now he's getting a Callaham Vibrato made for the 2 1/16" screw spacing of the MIM Strats and I'll be installing that next week. Can't wait. I've never heard the diff a Callaham vibrato can make - only read about it.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Re: Pearly Gates set in a Les Paul...having a ball!

The Pearly bridge has ever been my absolute favorite humbucker in a Strat, that James Ryan is a monster player, makes me want to use my axe for a dartboard! I've been trying to get into the PGn but I haven't been able to make it work for me. The lead sound I really dig but... I'm tempted to try a bridge in one of my Dominions though!
    Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
    Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
    Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
    Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Discovered some interesting info on this particular Les Paul.

It's a '91 LP Studio and the mahogany body has a core of BALSA WOOD!

Works for me. I really like it!

Comment

I do a lot of guitar setups and pickup installs for players of all styles. It's easy spending cash.
        It always bugs me when they want something that's illogical, crappy, or against my advise, especially when they want to do something irreversible to a nice guitar. (yeah, add switches instead of push pulls)

It's funny when it's someone in a tribute band, and I steer them toward something that'll nail the tone, and then they want a super hot metal pickup.

I pulled a nice set of Wagner Custom Rewinds from a Les Paul Std. recently, and this time I came out ahead. He agreed to swap them for my 498T/490R set, and also gave me $20 for the installation! hahaha

The PG neck is my favorite neck humbucker. I wish I'd known that before loading so many of my guitars with 59 necks. I've slowly been moving them for PGn's and Seth necks.
        Last edited by Gearjoneser; 02-06-2014, 09:47 PM.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Yes, I'm not surprised. You should check ouy Gil Yaron's Bone guitar, which has a paulowina core and mahogany shell, maple top. Pretty unreal sounding.
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            I do a lot of guitar setups and pickup installs for players of all styles. It's easy spending cash.
            It always bugs me when they want something that's illogical, crappy, or against my advise, especially when they want to do something irreversible to a nice guitar. (yeah, add switches instead of push pulls)

It's funny when it's someone in a tribute band, and I steer them toward something that'll nail the tone, and then they want a super hot metal pickup.

I pulled a nice set of Wagner Custom Rewinds from a Les Paul Std. recently, and this time I came out ahead. He agreed to swap them for my 498T/490R set, and also gave me $20 for the installation! hahaha

The PG neck is my favorite neck humbucker. I wish I'd known that before loading so many of my guitars with 59 necks. I've slowly been moving them for PGn's and Seth necks.
            This guy is a friend who owns Evergroove Studios here in Colorado and I'm going to trade him for some recording time. But in all honesty, if it was my guitar I wouldn't change a thing about the electronics and I told him so. It does need a little fret work though so he'll get it back playing a lot better than it does now.

BTW, I'm not removing the Pearly Gates pickups - just the push/pull pots and the plastic covered modern wiring. He wants vintage style shielded cable through out the guitar.

Comment

I need a Les Paul

Comment

I've never tried a Pearly bridge but I am on the second PGn in my LP. It's a little odd but the first PGn I installed just didn't work out for me and I eventually gave up after trying A2, A4 and A5 mags... the A4 was the best of the bunch. I sold it a few years ago and then last year RockStarNick was selling a floor shop custom and I bagged it. I'm glad I did because my guitar is extremely happy with this one so it's going no where! I am thinking of getting a TB PG for my G&L Legacy

Comment

I'm trying a rough cast A3 in the PGn now which I quite like so far but...now it's a bit unbalanced with my Custom Custom I guess it's time to try that PGb!
                  Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                  Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                  Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                  Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

As in, where a chambered LP normally has air?

Comment

Yeah, I have one, too; probably my favorite LP. That's called a Studio Lite. The balsa (they call it chromite) is in a rout underneath the pickup area. Balsa is actually a fine tone wood, just way too soft for the outside of an instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                        The balsa could well be lighter

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                          At first I thought it was chambered. Because there are some visible spaces in the walls of the control cavity.

But the balsa seems to be present in the core of much of the body. I haven't removed the pickups but I can see it in the walls of the control cavity and also in the round cavity that the three way switch is in.

You can see it in this photo. The mahogany is brown, the balsa is kind of a creamy color. In the bottom of the rout you're seeing the top of the guitar and it's maple.

Comment

Working...
                          X