Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would like to read covers on vs. covers off-can't find the thread

Yeah, Hello
    Did four different searches and could not find one single thread about pickup covers -on or off. I would bet a lot of money there must be many of them. If you could lead me to one I would be grateful. I am sure this has been talked to death many times.
    Thanks to whom or who ever,
    steve

Re: would like to read covers on vs. covers off-can't find the thread

I'm not sure how to link to the thread, but I asked the same question awhile ago. Go on YouTube and search for bare knuckle pickups. They have a video that answers your question.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

In very short removing covers brightens the tone slightly. Cosmetically I like the look of covers, on Gibson style guitars.
      sigpic
      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
      JFG Flying V,
      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Comment

Quite a big difference and not subtle at all.

To me the same pickup sounds like a different pickup when it's covered vs. uncovered.

Uncovered I can hear a lot more sizzle and a lot more noise from the pick striking the strings.

Very good demo.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Thanks to B. Flannel, Jocelyn, AlexR and Lewguitar,
            Great answers, but I gotta go w/Lewguitar on this one, however, as Jocelyn says, I do like the looks of a nickel plated humbucker. Thanks AlexR for the ytube example. Well done.
            So, I have a snow white strat, w/SH-2 Jazz neck pickup in the bridge, nice and bright, and when used w/57/62 Fender Strat middle pickup I can get many different sounds. There is no neck pickup or hole for a neck pickup so it is interesting to look at, plus less magnet pull. I think I will go for a double white humbucker (I am suppose to be able to get now) sh-2jazz for the brightness w/out the cover. Should look cool. I really like the PAF output of the sh-2jazz and the brightness and fullness of a humbucker (w/out the spikyness) that the middle strat + bridge are quite a beautiful pairing with each other. I even got a quack with both of them together as the rods and screws are not very close to the strings.
            Thanks again,
            Steve buffington
            Last edited by SJ318; 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

The Jazz (n) would work well IMO with single coils. I really like this pickup a lot.
              sigpic
              Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
              JFG Flying V,
              "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
              John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Thanks for the video...I've seen it in the past and I have to admit I was surprised by the difference just the covers make...first time I'd seen pups A/B'd this way with only the cover being the difference.

I really like the look of the covered humbucker too but I have a LP Traditional that is really dark and I'm considering a pup change and for this guitar will probably go uncovered now...I was going to order a set of covered WLH but now I think I might try some of the pups I have in my drawer that I wasn't going to use b/c they were uncovered and I don't care for the look.
                2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                  Quite a big difference and not subtle at all.

To me the same pickup sounds like a different pickup when it's covered vs. uncovered.

Uncovered I can hear a lot more sizzle and a lot more noise from the pick striking the strings.

Very good demo.
                  To me it sounds like a gain thing; with all other things being equal, including the amp setting, the uncovered pickup seems more sensitive and so the attacks are closer to breakup, giving you more "gravel" as the notes develop. The uncovered pickup also seems to have a little more high mids (which would be right around the pickups' resonant peak, further supporting the "more gain" theory).

Comment

I prefer the look of exposed double coils. Not to start an argument here, but I think the appearance of covered humbuckers seems a bit clunky and old fashioned.

Comment

Hey there, by default the search is all posts, which is a bit scattershot, you'll want to go into advanced and change it to titles only. Here are a couple:

The nickel silver covers and thickness that we use is a very minimal effect on tone and when you do notice it, it's just a touch warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by wolf View Post
                        I prefer the look of exposed double coils. Not to start an argument here, but I think the appearance of covered humbuckers seems a bit clunky and old fashioned.
                        I respectfully disagree. The covers, I feel, give a guitar a cleaner contemporary look, especially in a satin finish.

For example, here's a Gibson LP Studio, in faded brown, with no covers. The pickups immediately draw your eye, with the exposed silver on black polepieces:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	DV016_Jpg_Large_430967.008_worn_brown.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	5775908

... And here's the same model guitar with the stock chrome covers. Even though there's now more metal to catch the light, the pickups nevertheless seem to blend better with the other hardware on the guitar:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	B000PFLKAY-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	5775909

Comment

I like BOTH . . . on the same guitar, ala Jimmy Page.
                          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post
                            I respectfully disagree. The covers, I feel, give a guitar a cleaner contemporary look, especially in a satin finish.

For example, here's a Gibson LP Studio, in faded brown, with no covers. The pickups immediately draw your eye, with the exposed silver on black polepieces:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]50689[/ATTACH]

... And here's the same model guitar with the stock chrome covers. Even though there's now more metal to catch the light, the pickups nevertheless seem to blend better with the other hardware on the guitar:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]50690[/ATTACH]
                            I like open coils without a pickguard.. with the pickguard I go with the covers. That is aesthetics alone though. There is a difference in the sound.. to my ears anyway. Without covers a pickup has a bigger bite, with them they are a little smoother.
                            Last edited by Jermo3178; 02-07-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                              Thanks to B. Flannel, Jocelyn, AlexR and Lewguitar,
                              Great answers, but I gotta go w/Lewguitar on this one, however, as Jocelyn says, I do like the looks of a nickel plated humbucker. Thanks AlexR for the ytube example. Well done.
                              So, I have a snow white strat, w/SH-2 Jazz neck pickup in the bridge, nice and bright, and when used w/57/62 Fender Strat middle pickup I can get many different sounds. There is no neck pickup or hole for a neck pickup so it is interesting to look at, plus less magnet pull. I think I will go for a double white humbucker (I am suppose to be able to get now) sh-2jazz for the brightness w/out the cover. Should look cool. I really like the PAF output of the sh-2jazz and the brightness and fullness of a humbucker (w/out the spikyness) that the middle strat + bridge are quite a beautiful pairing with each other. I even got a quack with both of them together as the rods and screws are not very close to the strings.
                              Thanks again,
                              Steve buffington
                              I can't really take credit. I believe it was Little Pig Bacon that posted the vid in a previous thread. Still, I'm glad you're on the right track.
                               Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X