Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59s in a Vintage VS6 (SG copy)

Hi!

First of all, I´m relatively new to the forum -I used to be connected some years ago, so hello everybody again-.

My question is:

I have a Vintage VS6 sg type copy. I feel the guitar has a nice basement, but could be improved (changing tuners, bridge an pups)

I like the classic sg tone, so my first impression would be trying a pair of 59s.

Is it a good option? Better ones, or any other ideas?

I like a mid-distorted sound tha could be broken eventually a-la Neil Young kind of distortion.

Thanks in advance.

Angel

Re: 59s in a Vintage VS6 (SG copy)

Hi Angel and welcome back.

I recently put a '59 set into an Epiphone SG and they sound awesome for the kind of 60s and 70s influenced rock I like to play - I think Neil Young tone is in that ballpark!

As I posted in another SG thread today, I never had much luck with '59s in Les Pauls (boomy bass in the neck, too scooped in the bridge) but the warmer mid-strong acoustic tone of the SG complements the '59s perfectly, producing a really full and well balanced tone.

I put a TonePros bridge and tailpiece set on my Epi while I was changing the pickups and that is a great upgrade too.

Comment

Re: 59s in a Vintage VS6 (SG copy)

Thanks Simon, maybe it is the way to go! I think boomy sound wouldn´t be an issue in a SG. Mine sound very clear in neck pickup positions.
      I´ver heard good things of tone pros, though they are too pricey to my budget.

As I said, thanks for the advice!

Angel

Comment

Working...
      X