Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some input on pick ups for a Charvel Model 6

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
    botch job.... that's what I think of it.
    Agreed, that's probably why it sounds the way it does. I'll be tearing it all out and starting from scratch this weekend. I've got some SSL-3s coming in next week.

Once I get it all done I'll post up some new pics, not sure if I'm going to leave whatever that is in there or get an EMG AB and toss that in there. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

ETA: I'm still ROFLMAO over your decsription of those pickups, LoL. Good stuff!
    Last edited by metalmantiss; 02-14-2014, 12:10 PM.
    Jackson JDR-94 Concept
    Kramer Imperial
    Agile LP Copy
    Charvel Model 6
    Marshall MG102CFX
    A bunch of pedals
    LYT Pedal Board

Comment

I know for a fact that SSL-4 and SSL-6 will fit, and I wouldn't be afraid to do a Dime in there (if you like the sound of the Dime).

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
        I know for a fact that SSL-4 and SSL-6 will fit, and I wouldn't be afraid to do a Dime in there (if you like the sound of the Dime).
        Yea the Dimebucker is a HOT pickup, I have one in my LTD along with a SH-59 in the neck, it's a screamer in the bridge position and very warm and creamy in the neck.

I haven't tried the neck and bridge together yet though, something bad may happen.

Jackson JDR-94 Concept
        Kramer Imperial
        Agile LP Copy
        Charvel Model 6
        Marshall MG102CFX
        A bunch of pedals
        LYT Pedal Board

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
          comes out of the bottom. I have 90 more minutes before my plane leaves. if you ask nicely, I'll make a pic of the quarterpound's back I have in my backpack

and yes I agree about what you said about the kahler but I didn't read at all where the t.s. has a kahler but ok.

@mk3 greneade: yes. just yes. that combo SMOKES. Love it.

Right there.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
            it took me 5 passes, literally, to distinguish the word 'kahler'. I needed to use 'cmd+f' to get it. what the hell. maybe i'm just tired from traveling :P

Comment

No worries. I'm that kinda guy. You know, the overly-annoying-for-no-reason internet-(doesn't)know-it-all type :P
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by metalmantiss View Post
                Thanks for that bit of info DrNewcenstein, I was really trying to stay with SD on the pickups though, I'll look into the Lil '59 and JBJr and see what I can find. I've also looked into the EMG AB and may end up tossing that in for some extra options. I appreciate all of the info, keep the great suggestions rolling in!

ETA: Also, would you install 2 Lil '59s or 2 JBJrs or one of each? I was thinking Lil '59 in the neck and the JBJr in the middle.

ETA 2: Or maybe as orpheo suggested, 2 SSL-3s, one in the neck and one in the middle?
                Hey there! I have an old Model 5FX Hum at bridge (EMG-85) slant (SA) single coil at neck right now but I'm wanting to go all passive. Mine has an Org. Floyd, mine is currently setup for drop B tuning which our band is tuned to right now and I've had people on here recommend to me the Seymour Duncan TB-6 Distortion (not the PAT variant) and for the neck Seymour's tone wizard was recommending a SSL-4 Quarter Pound but now reading this thread I wonder about where the wiring comes out of the single coil because I don't know if the Charvel's have a standard rout or not?
                Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
                Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
                Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
                2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
                1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
                Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
                Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
                Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

depends on the model. quarterpound, hot for strat, and many others: on the bottom. others have that triangular flange. just look at the pics. the pictures show it really well. I don't understand the issue.

Comment

Well I finally got around to re-wiring my Charvel, good call on the SSL3 for the neck and middle position, I think they sound great! I'm using .47 orange drops but I'm going to toss a .22 orange drop in there to see if it cleans up a little. I'm going to throw an EMG AB in there to replace the non functioning potentiometer, it's basically a plug for now. You've seen the before pic, now here's the after pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	5776584
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by metalmantiss; 03-22-2014, 05:08 PM.
                    Jackson JDR-94 Concept
                    Kramer Imperial
                    Agile LP Copy
                    Charvel Model 6
                    Marshall MG102CFX
                    A bunch of pedals
                    LYT Pedal Board

Comment

Working...
                    X