Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The difference between Duncan and Dimarzio

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
    Dimarzios are scooped while Duncans have midrange wallop? Wut?

Um, no.
    I have to agree. The majority of Dimarzio's pickups are overwound so much they are nothing but mids, mud, and compression. When players say they are lifeless, they usually mean the pickup is way too compressed. A lot of Dimarzio's offerings are geared towards solo players, and not rhythm players. I will say the Blue Velvet was/is my favorite Dimarzio pickup, but they did away with it in favor of the True Velvet which I haven't had a chance to try.
    1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

To me, Duncans sound bigger and livelier. Dimarzios sound more focused and dryer to me.
      I like both, although Duncans seem to be a bit pickier about which guitar they like.

Hope the APH-1 set I just installed likes my LPC. Now off to play.

Comment

I have had great experience with pickups from both companies, and they both make quality products. They also both make pickups that sound better in some guitars than others. Really a lot of whether a pickup is going to work with or work against your tone depends a lot on your playing style and setup. Both companies offer great exchange programs if you don't like your initial selection. Try both and see what you think. Don't overthink it and try to spend more time playing the guitar than thinking about pickups. Personally I have more seymour Duncan's than Dimarzios, but also have had good results with stock fender and gibson pickups. I live in ventura county just down the road from Santa Barbara so my local guitar store can usually get any stock duncan the next day. Happy pickup hunting.

Comment

I would to see an active DiMarzio

Comment

Whether you perceive a guitar as "singing", whether something interesting happens during the tone, during sustain, depends on the mids. The same mids that your brain uses to identify emotions in other people's voices.

Duncan pickups bring out nuances in these mids better. I don't know whether it is as simple as just a more even general frequency distribution or something more dynamic but there it is.

Gilmour will never play DiMarzios.

Maybe they should spend more time on product development and less on lawering around.

Comment

I am sure there are plenty of DiMarzios that Seymour likes as there are Duncans that Larry likes. They are both great products by visionary inventors, just be happy you have access to both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                Gilmour will never play DiMarzios.

Maybe they should spend more time on product development and less on lawering around.
                Dude, Gilmour used Dimarzio FS-1's before making the SSL-5 with Duncan.

The thing is SD and Dimarzio both have different design philosophies, and both have achieved fantastic results. I never could tell where the idea came from that DiMarzios are all overwound monsters that only single-note players use. They have great vintage output offerings too

I really don't like classifying them because their product lines are both very diverse. I wonder if people could tell between the two brands in a blind test.
                “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

Duncan's Rule and Dimarzio's drool..... That's right, I just said that.... eat it.
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                    Duncan's Rule and Dimarzio's drool..... That's right, I just said that.... eat it.
                    It's unfortunate that you feel that way. I would love to hear your opinions with detail on exactly what you have played.
                    -IM

Comment

Both PU makers ****ing rule.

Bottom ****ing line. There has been some stupid **** that some of you hooligans have said, whatever.

Both make fantastic pickups and suit different styles very well.

Just because it doesn't suit your style, does not make it bad.
                      -IM

Comment

Saying "Duncans are this and Dimarzio's are that" makes as much sense as saying all ice cream is chocolate and all girls are redheads. Duncan and Dimarzio definitely have their own takes on things, but the different models WITHIN both individual lines are as different as night and day. If you think "Duncans are mid heavy and Dimarzios are scooped", you haven't played enough Duncans and Dimarzios.

Comment

I think both have great pickups, for the required applications. We all have our choices.
                          sigpic
                          Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                          JFG Flying V,
                          "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                          John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

IMHO the difference is mostly .... in support. Whenever i emailed Dimarzio, their answer (albeit a little cold) was ultra precise and helpfull. With EMG's the replies were longer to receive and not always so helpful. With Seymour Duncan my experience was even worse. IMHO Dimarzio is more professional and cold, Seymour Duncan relies mostly on its huge fan base and really helpful forum. Dimarzio does not even run or even endorse an official forum. That implies a difference in philosophy, that might be reflected back to their products themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                              IMHO the difference is mostly .... in support. Whenever i emailed Dimarzio, their answer (albeit a little cold) was ultra precise and helpfull. With EMG's the replies were longer to receive and not always so helpful. With Seymour Duncan my experience was even worse. IMHO Dimarzio is more professional and cold, Seymour Duncan relies mostly on its huge fan base and really helpful forum. Dimarzio does not even run or even endorse an official forum. That implies a difference in philosophy, that might be reflected back to their products themselves.
                              I've had that same experience. Always had a really quick and helpfull reply from Dimarzio.

Comment

This thread inspires me to buy a set of DiMarzio's purely out of curiosity

Comment

Working...
                                X