banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lil59 Flubby in Neck position on Strat - what instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil59 Flubby in Neck position on Strat - what instead?

Mid 70's Strat with JBJr at bridge, Little 59 in neck, and a Carvin Twinblade in the middle (don't knock it, with spin-a-split it gives a really nice sterile clean tone)

Wired with superswitch (avoided the typical 5-way middle positions) Also wired a push-pull for neck series/parallel.

This guitar is setup for pop-ish alternative rock through progressive rock/metal. The JBjr is great for crunch and leads. It's very clear and articulate with good bite and a pleasing midrange and (for my tastes) smooth top end. Responds well to dynamics, attack, and rolling off the volume knob.

The Little 59 in the neck has a REALLY nice sound with low drive and Vox style tones. The issue is anything else I don't like in it, and I can replicate what it does well with Les Pauls quite easily so it's redundancy in a situation where I want unique. After many height and pole adjustments I just haven't come to liking this one. The bottom end is quite flubby, the low mids are very congested. It's just too thick and does not compliment the bridge position at all - it's like 2 different instruments and that is not my intentions with this one.

What will clear up the tone in this situation? Maybe a JBjr in the neck too? I'm not much concerned with maintaining the typical Strat spank and sparkle - I have single coils to swap if ever that urge would arise.

Definitely want to have HB or rails there, the Carvin in the middle satisfies any urge for single coil tones I could need in this particular guitar.

I didn't get this installed and tested within the 21 day period or I would just call SD for a chat and mail in for swap.

Re: Lil59 Flubby in Neck position on Strat - what instead?

Try a Li'l Screamin' Demon in the neck, if you can.

Comment

Wire a tone knob to the bridge, EQ your amp to the Lil 59, then roll off excess treble on your JB with that tone knob. You still may not like it, but the bridge tone knob mod is worth it anyway.

Comment

I've not gotten that from a neck position Little '59. in fact, quite different from the OP's experience.

the hot rails will be a little tighter, but you'll get a little more compressed and a little less open. when compared to the Little '59, my experience is that the Hot Rail will be more in the neighborhood of the JB Jr.

Comment

All good advice thanks. I do have master tone, and when I rewire I'm redoing that. The Screamin Demon sounds very similar on the SD clips. The Hot Rails does seem exactly as described by darthphineas when listening to the clips, which isn't much different from how I hear the Twinrails. I'm leaning toward (pretty much decided on) a JBJr. neck position for the neck and selling the Little 59

Comment

Yeah, ditto to darth's experience. The lil 59 has actually been quite a nice neck pickup. One of the hidden jems actually. Great for getting neck les paul tones out of a strat style guitar.

I was going to suggest a rail one too. Maybe the cool rails. See whether the bridge or neck version matches the lil 59 K rating and you'll get i the ballpark.

....just checked - neck one would be OK, has a bit less bass too which might fit well.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              Yeah, ditto to darth's experience. The lil 59 has actually been quite a nice neck pickup. One of the hidden jems actually. Great for getting neck les paul tones out of a strat style guitar.

I was going to suggest a rail one too. Maybe the cool rails. See whether the bridge or neck version matches the lil 59 K rating and you'll get i the ballpark.

....just checked - neck one would be OK, has a bit less bass too which might fit well.
              Thanks - Yepp, the Lil59 in the neck just duplicates what my Les Paul's do in the neck - I don't need the redundancy. Watched videos with the 59 in middle and JBjr on neck, liked both of those. Listened to clips of hot rails in the neck position and those were good for me too. I think I'll switch the neck/middle pickups before deciding anything. Still think the JBjr neck pickup is what I want in this guitar though.

Comment

Working...
              X