banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which pickup for my Vintage Mahogany Studio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pickup for my Vintage Mahogany Studio?

I have a 2006 Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Studio that is made of all Mahogany, ie no Maple on it. I plan on giving it a wiring overhaul using the 50's style of wiring, but am unsure of which pickups I should get. I want it to be a vintage sounding guitar, so looking for a traditional PAF type pickups. Below are the options I am currently looking at...

1. Gibson Burstbucker Pro's. These are the current pickups in the guitar and they sound good, and I might keep them if none of the other options are much better.

2. Gibson '57 Classics. I have a couple better LP's that I am selling and they have these pickups in them, so considering doing a swap before I sell them. How do the '57 Classics compare to the Burstbucker Pro's?

3. Duncan 59's. A very popular PAF pickup from SD and many people consider these better than any Gibson PAF pickup, but are they really?

4. Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker. Have not heard these in person yet, but they are getting rave reviews and seem to be more of a vintage PAF than the 59's are.

5. Duncan Pearly Gates. I really like these pickups, but their description on the SD site says for brighter instruments and an all Mahogany LP is likely to be anything but bright. Would these work at all in my guitar?

I am open to other suggestions, but I can't afford boutique pickups. Also, even if very good, brands that are not well known tend to lower the resale value of a guitar, so I generally stay away from them. This guitar will mainly be played through an Egnater Tweaker 15 micro-stack.

Thanks!
    2013 Gibson SG Standard (Custom A4 Neck & Custom A8 Bridge, both with Triple Shots)
    Boss Katana 50W w/Creamback

Re: Which pickup for my Vintage Mahogany Studio?

Look at Dimarzio 36th's and Air Classics as well, both great sounding PAF style pickups.

Comment

Which pickup for my Vintage Mahogany Studio?

Changing the pots for 500 kohms would open up the sound a bit. It wasn't enough for me though, neck pu (BB Pro, too) still way to muddy for me. Seth Lover from the Duncan line or Dimarzio 36th ann. PAF are great vintage sounding pups. The dimarzio is really nice in the neck spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Which pickup for my Vintage Mahogany Studio?

Shameless plug here. You could try a Wolfetone Marshallhead neck in the bridge position. At 8.2k it should work great there. And a 59n in the neck. A lot of guys say it sounds great with an A4 mag. I've got a 59n wound by MJ and a Marshallhead for sale. The 59 is 7.45k.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ls-and-pickups!!!

"Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Working...
        X