Invader question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invader question

I have a used guitar that I bought and it has a Duncan Designed Invader in it (I can't remember what the actual designation is) and to my surprise it sounds very good in this guitar, the problem is that it is black and I need a zebra pickup. I am looking at getting a zebra Invader but I am unsure how it will sound as the Duncan Designed only says "based on the SD Invader" Has anyone played both? If so are they very similar? The Invader is a pickup I am not familiar with as I always assumed that it would be to much of everything but to my ears it is similar to the Duncan Distortion with a warmer EQ which works in this guitar. Color is a stupid reason to change a pickup but this is turning into a project that is a bit more than I bargained for and it may as well somewhat stock when done. Between replacing the bridge, filling the route and making a new brass plate it was more than I planned on. I owe a pic for the ramble, 1980 Dean ML Standard.
    Attached Files

Re: Invader question

I've owned both The Invader, and the "Detonator" (the Duncan designed version), and actually tried them in the same guitar. It was a few years back, so keep that in mind, but I remember they are very similar. The Actual Seymour Invader, was a bit less compressed, seemed to have a lot more clarity under high gain, and a slightly more balanced Midrange (i.e. High & Low mids were fairly evenly matched).......Same guitar also had an Invader in the neck, and it was actually a surprisingly great sounding neck pickup FWIW. Hope that helps.

Unrelated to the pickups....That is an awesome ML you got there! If you're not experienced with all the work you're planning to put in (especially filling the route where the Kahler is), ya might wanna take it to a pro. I'd hate to see something like that get messed up.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the pickup. The work will be done by a professional tech/luthier, I can do a setup and solder in pickups but that is about it! The guitar is great but somewhat of a mess cosmetically, the front view make it look much better than it is. It plays and sounds great though, for $350.00 it was worth taking a chance.

Comment

Detonator is closer to the Distortion than the Invader. I thought it sounded better, especially when you swap an A8 in there. If the pickup sounds great in there, get a cream colored bobbin topper sticker and put that on the pickup. (Obviously take the pole pieces out first then put them back in. )

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I go to the invader anytime I need a good pup and I love it to death. To compare the two, the invader to me has tighter sound, and cuts through mids and highs more clearly than the duncan designed. They're both great pickups, but I personally would take the invader over the designed for the fact that it holds well under palm muting, can cut through the mid and high notes, and holds bass well. Overall one of my favorite pups.

Comment

The Invader is definitely going to be "hotter" and less compressed than the Detonator but not so much so that your sound will be altered dramatically. If anything, it should improve your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X