Two volume controls, no tone controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two volume controls, no tone controls

I'm going to put Distortion bridge and neck pickups in my Kramer Focus 2000. Instead of wiring it up 1 volume and 1 tone I'm thinking of using bridge volume and neck volume with no tone control. To tame fizzy brightness I am thinking of using 250k for bridge, not sure if I'll use 500k or 250k for the neck. Thoughts on how this will work out? Pros / cons?

Re: Two volume controls, no tone controls

How it will work will depend on the pickup's own characteristics and your ears.
    Only way to know it is just to try it. Nothing wrong. Go ahead.
    My Charvel SoCal works with just a volume pot and, it delivers awesome tones (with either SDs '59/JB or Dimarzio Evo/TZ or Barekuckle's Nailbombs).
    No issues.
    My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
    My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico View Post
      How it will work will depend on the pickup's own characteristics and your ears.
      Only way to know it is just to try it. Nothing wrong. Go ahead.
      My Charvel SoCal works with just a volume pot and, it delivers awesome tones (with either SDs '59/JB or Dimarzio Evo/TZ or Barekuckle's Nailbombs).
      No issues.
      +1
      The Distortion/Jazz combo that I had in my Jackson with just a 500K volume sounded good to me. Wasn't piercing or fizzy to me, instead just gave me a good cut and articulation under gain.
      I'd just start out with 500K (especially in the neck) and move to 250K if it's to bright for you.

Comment

Thanks, El Supremo. The more I thought about it I figured I would start with 250k for the bridge and 500k for the neck. Keep the clarity and highs in the neck so it doesn't get muffled or wooly, and shave off some of the fizziness in the bridge position.

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
          Thanks, El Supremo. The more I thought about it I figured I would start with 250k for the bridge and 500k for the neck. Keep the clarity and highs in the neck so it doesn't get muffled or wooly, and shave off some of the fizziness in the bridge position.
          That's exactly what I do with a two-pot guitar, one 250K volume and one 500K volume.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I personally like the Duncan Distortion with a 500k pot, but doing a 250k / 500k configuration would be cool too.

Comment

With no tone control I'd go 250k but that's just me. Recently had two humbuckers and a single volume that was too bright with 500k and lowering it to 300k dialed it in perfectly. Actually I'd suggest getting a couple of different value pots and try them until you get the right balance for your setup and style.

Comment

I use no tone controls on my guitars and use 1 meg pots for the neck (all humbucker equipped).
                Good deals with Fusion1, Mig50, Meggo, hamerfan, Booldrose, JOLLY, Ignoramus, BELLEZA, BPSUL, bluesbend, DracoAran, brunigio, Ed Hunter, Andrew Lemprecht, Shauggy, atreidesheir, Killsocket, rawkabilly, DesertRat, slaveunit, Clapton is God, metlking, Heartfeltmusic2010, ErikH, SAVAGE DISTORTION, Punkkitty, Dankstar, lexx9, Mr 9finger, loversmoon, BachToRock, Kingdon Guitarworks, Chrismo, Ascension, IndySG, ex-250, guitarglynn, Mononoaware, chickencoop, daan, t1r12003, Demina, Trevorus and more.

Comment

first try 500k pots, if not your thing you always can reduce it with a resistor, also you could try play with the volume to quit highs and get more dynamics, in other hand a low capacitance cap in series will do quit harsh while having all the power, inclusive you could use 1meg pots with it

Comment

I'd say removing the tone doesn't give you fizz, just a touch more clarity and cut.

Comment

Yeah, 250k for the bridge, 500k for the neck. The Dist in the bridge has always seemed very bright to my ears and I even tamed it with an A2 mag. But I would suggest the 250k pot as a starting point rather than the 500k.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                      X