LPC middle pup advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LPC middle pup advise

What??? Nooooo. First the ugly truths about Paul and Gene and now this. Now all my childhood truth of KISS are shattered. I'm gonna have to start playing drums. I hope there's not dirt out there about Peter Criss.

Comment

Re: LPC middle pup advise

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
      Yeah Zhang got a good one. A Phat Staple will significantly reduce magnetic interference and bring some new sound to the table.
      Staple pickup -- not a bad pick there. Except you have to mod the wood extensively.
      Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        The original purpose of the middle pickup was to create a hotter/thicker series option to rectify a thin bridge position in the days before aftermarket pickup replacements.

Not true concerning the 3pup LPC. I believe the middle pickup, in original 3Pup Customs, where out of phase to the other 2. This would in turn create a thinner/funkier sound.

I have been wanting a 3pup LP since the late 70's. Last year I bought a LPJ, so I can accomplish my goal of having 1. Only thing is, I will try to make it sound like both a LP and a Strat. Please don't reply by saying BUY A STRAT! 98% of my playing demands humbuckers, its only on occasion that I desire the twang and quack of a Strat. I also do not like playing Fender guitars. They are way to different to my beloved Les Pauls, for me to get used to.

So Long Live the 3pup Les Paul!

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
          Staple pickup -- not a bad pick there. Except you have to mod the wood extensively.
          Well the OP's friend seems to be determined to do that anyway so I'd so it's a go

Comment

Oh, it's getting routed!!

At this point were thinking 3 way just being neck , mid, and bridge maybe stock pickups in neck and bridge and maybe a hotter pickup JB the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              Oh, it's getting routed!!
              Then Staple pickup it is, you have my endorsement for whatever that's worth. The Phat Staple is in a humbucker format anyway so no problem. The originals are almost twice as deep as a P90.
              Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                Then Staple pickup it is, you have my endorsement for whatever that's worth. The Phat Staple is in a humbucker format anyway so no problem. The originals are almost twice as deep as a P90.
                No dice on the staple...
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I'd go with a 59n in the neck and middle, and whatever bridge pickup you like. Leave the standard three way toggle. Wire the neck tone for a master tone. Wire the bridge tone as a volume for the middle pup. You can now blend in the middle pickup when you like. That's how Frampton does it.
                  2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                  2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                  2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

More cool stuff...

We're gonna swap the Grover's out for a set of waffle back klusons and pull the stock tailpiece for a TP-6!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Les Paul Custom I used around 1968 was a real one from the late 1950's. It had three original paf's. Three position switch. In the middle position I got the middle pickup and bridge pickup combined. I loved that tone and it was my favorite tone on the guitar.

I hated the fretless wonder frets though. They were so low that I couldn't live with them and at the time I was just a kid and couldn't do refrets myself. I can now. But I couldn't back then so I sold it.

But I loved that middle & bridge combined tone so much that I bought a 1950-something Les Paul Junior and put a middle P90 in it and no neck pickup. I played that guitar until the neck broke one day.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

This is it for maximum versatility and keeping it easy.
                        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
                        X