Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for my Epiphone SG-400? Help!

Hello everyone, I'm new here!

I wanted to change my stock Epiphone pickups on my Epi SG-400 but I'm not sure what will be better suited for what I want. (Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard.)

I like grunge, hard rock, stoner rock, some metal, punk, classic rock, etc... But I play Grunge mainly, as well as stoner rock and hard rock (Alice in chains, Soundgarden, Queens of the stone age are some of my favorite groups). I prefer Bass/mid tones than high treble. I don't really like screechy guitar tones that much. I'm going to be playing mainly through a Boss distortion DS-1 and/or a Bigg muff Pi. I want something that will sound full, good output and versatile. I may play on standard C or D sometimes also.

I've been told that the JB/Jazz combo, or the SH-5 would be good options? Any other recommendations? Every opinion is appreciated Thanks

Re: Pickups for my Epiphone SG-400? Help!

A set of Duncan 59's.
    " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

seems like the Jazz/JB is what everyone goes for. There's a lot of love for the Black Winters as well.
      Originally posted by Funkfingers
      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Custom or Custom/'59 hybrid bridge with Jazz neck? Probably what I'd do.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
        Nope...

Comment

Super Distortion bridge
          -IM

Comment

I would suggest a Distortion/Jazz combo for that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
              seems like the Jazz/JB is what everyone goes for.
              Not in SG's. A Custom and a '59 are a better match for that wood. JB's can get squirrely in warm woods.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Not in SG's. A Custom and a '59 are a better match for that wood. JB's can get squirrely in warm woods.
                That's good to know, thanks. I'll be getting an SG400 before next week in trade so it'll be nice to know what I should look into when it's time to swap up.

Ironfox, one thing I'll also suggest is to get the ELECTRONICS redone as well. New high quality stuff, not the junk Epi puts in there. Switch out the pots for higher quality, better wire and switch, and possible look into getting push-pull pots in case you get 4 wire pickups and want to have the option of single-coil sounds. I'll play my SG until a string breaks, then I'm ordering some higher-quality stuff.
                Originally posted by Funkfingers
                Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Almost any Custom does well in an SG.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                    Almost any Custom does well in an SG.
                    +1. The Custom family does very well in mahogany, the one execption being CC's in LP's (most players think they're too dark in them).

If you're into PAF's, a pair of '59's is nice in SG's, don't have the boominess they do in LP's.
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      +1. The Custom family does very well in mahogany, the one execption being CC's in LP's (most players think they're too dark in them).

If you're into PAF's, a pair of '59's is nice in SG's, don't have the boominess they do in LP's.
                      Yep 59's for the win. Phat Cats are a popular choice as well. If you aren't opposed to swapping a magnet, then a Custom with an Alnico 8 magnet is a great choice as well.
                      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                      Line 6 Helix
                      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I played a friends SG. It was fine. Convinced him to let me throw in a C8 and Mean 90 neck.

His mind was blown
                        -IM

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
                          I played a friends SG. It was fine. Convinced him to let me throw in a C8 and Mean 90 neck.

His mind was blown
                          Excellent PU combination. They should come like that from the factory.

Comment

Pickups are only a part of a much bigger picture when it comes to good tone.
                            A good set of pickups is probably worth more than that whole (sg400) guitar.
                            Save up for a better axe and amp combination. You did not mention specifically what amp you are using, but a good amp is the basic bedrock on which your sound is built.
                            If you have a nice amp rig, then get your hands on an axe that not only plays well, but resonates musically in your hands.
                            Once the big building blocks of your sound are sorted out, then its worth looking at the smaller details like pickups.
                            This might seem like I'm deliberately avoiding the question, but if your goal is to sound good, then this is the quickest, cheapest and most effective way to get where you want to be.
                            Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-19-2014, 05:56 AM.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                              Pickups are only a part of a much bigger picture when it comes to good tone.
                              A good set of pickups is probably worth more than that whole (sg400) guitar.
                              With the right PU's, you can get some very good tones from a G-400, and lower-end Gibson SG's aren't all that much better. Unless you want to spend a lot more on a guitar, you can get what you from the one you have now. I get most of my PU's used online (usually for half price), so it doesn't take a big investment to get some quality PU's.

Comment

Working...
                              X