Help on duckbucker wiring in Middle for HSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on duckbucker wiring in Middle for HSH

Hello, hoping someone can help. Could not find instructions in the diagram section for how to wire a duckbucker in the middle with two humbuckers.

Have a 4-conductor full size JB in bridge and full size 4-conductor 59 in neck, just installed yesterday. They both work great! I now understand why they are so popular.

If it helps I have a 5-way and was hoping for a nice full SC tone in position 3 and strat-like quack in 2 and 4, using auto splitting on the neck and bridge PU's.

The question is how to hook up the 4-conductor duckbucker - which lead(s) go to hot and ground?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mcalo42; 02-21-2014, 07:24 PM. Reason: Correction

Re: Help on duckbucker wiring in Middle for HSH

The Duckbucker is wired so that it is parallel instead of the usual series wiring where you: group the white & red, black is hot, and green & bare to ground.

The Duckbucker needs the: RED & BLACK soldered to switch and the green, white & bare to ground.

I probably wouldn't bother trying to split the bridge or neck humbuckers... you'd only be able to do that with a mega switch and you probably just have a super switch. The Duckbucker will give you quack in 2 and 4 when combined with your full humbuckers... but definitely do experiment with splitting the humbuckers if you can get or already have a mega switch
    Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Excellent, thanks so much!

I do have a mega switch and a 12-pin push/pull volume pot, which were in the Ibanez I swapped PU's. maybe I will try not splitting in 2/4 in down/push position and run like a strat in the up/pull position and split the HB's in 2/4.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help!

Comment

Follow up: I was wrong in how I intitially had it wired when I made the original post (corrected that, so someone searching this topic in the future doesnt get confused). So, the suggestion for parallel wiring above did work but there was too much volume difference between middle duckbucker and the two humbuckers, so I called SD - and they suggested I wire it in series to get more output. It works perfect and I can now balance the DB with the neck and bridge full sized HB's. Series for the DB workes like this - Black to the switch, green and bare to ground, and red/white soldered together and isolated.

So here's the PU configuration I ended up with from 5-way position # 5 to 1: push/pull down - Neck HB, Neck HB/middle, middle, middle/bridge HB, Bridge HB; with push/pull up - Neck HB (tapped), Neck HB (tapped)/middle, middle, middle/bridge HB (tapped), Bridge HB (tapped). So with push/pull volume up all single coil config like a strat.

I liked the way the guitar played but never could bond with the stock Tru Duo PU's. The SD pickup upgrade made this SV5470 a keeper now!!! . Thinking about maybe changing to SD on a JP6 next....

Comment

I had the same experience with the duck between two lil demons, series is the way to go

Comment

Working...
          X