Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twang Banger in neck position

Has anyone tried this?

I have this Strat that's HSS. Right now it has a PG+ bridge, an SDS-1 (Strat-sized 9.5KOhm P90) middle, and a True Velvet neck pickup. The PG and the SDS-1 complement each other well. It's a pretty meaty combination. Sounds like a chunky humbucker bridge pickup for rhythms and riffs, and the SDS-1 in the middle position sounds like a thick P90 neck pickup for melodies and such. The #2 position is also insanely good on this guitar - probably the best #2 position I've ever had on a Strat. While the True Velvet neck pickup sounds good in its own right, it is not a good match for the other two - far too tinny. I want something that has a single coil sound, but much more midrange focused, and not so clattery on the top end. I want it to be not so smooth and bassy like the SDS-1. Something "spanky," you might say.

I was thinking about putting a baseplate on it. But I don't think it would make enough of a difference, and I'd like to go ahead and keep the True Velvet stock in case I want to sell it. The thought of a baseplate and the need for a hotter wind led my mind to the Twang Banger. Any thoughts on using this pickup in the neck position of this guitar?

Thanks.

P.S. I used to have the SDS-1 and the True Velvet in opposite positions. It was OK, but I know that another SDS-1 in the neck slot is not what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-19-2014, 10:36 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: Twang Banger in neck position

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    Has anyone tried this?
    I want to know too. Been thinking to put in the neck of my tele.

Comment

Sounds like it could work in combination with the other pickups really well. I've only ever used a Twangbanger in the bridge of my G&L Legacy, and I really enjoyed the tones I got out of it.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

anyone know how the output of twangbanger compares with ssl5? Ive been thinking of using one in the middle position with ssl5 bridge

Comment

Working...
        X