banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea: SH-1 neck with A2 for a Tele bridge position, any good? Need opinion please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea: SH-1 neck with A2 for a Tele bridge position, any good? Need opinion please

I have a maple neck, basswood body Tele with a SD STR1 at the neck (perfect) and an old, solid, stewmac brass humbuker cut bridge where, at the moment, I have a DMZ Air Classic Bridge mounted on it.

I'm not completely satisfied of the humbucker: first of all there's something strange with the attack of the note, it's somewhat soft, but in a strange way, as it would be ... delayed, don't know. Then the higher strings are a bit overemphasized (I spent a lot of time trying to caliprate the height of the pickup but I can't find the right balance. The volume is a bit too high too.

What I'm looking for is a good balanced warm but open vintage humbucker sound for the bridge, with a level comparable with the rhythm pickup.

That lead me to think a SH-1 with a A2 magnet would be good. For the volume problem I'd choose the Neck version, a little lower in impedance.

Another option would be the A2P, but they are more difficult to find used (I'm short of money now) and I don't know if it would be that open.

Any opinion?
    thank you
    Last edited by marcello252; 02-19-2014, 06:26 AM.

Re: Idea: SH-1 neck with A2 for a Tele bridge position, any good? Need opinion please

The '59 might be a great option for your Tele bridge, but an A2 my be going a bit far if you want to keep more attack on the higher strings and an open sound. I would probably start with a UOA5 magnet and see how that sounds in your guitar first.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Re: Idea: SH-1 neck with A2 for a Tele bridge position, any good? Need opinion please

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      I would probably start with a UOA5 magnet and see how that sounds in your guitar first.
      I have one spare around so I can try it. My fear is this could be to strong giving a too high volume, that's why I thought about a Neck sh1 with an A2 (standard sh1 bridge is to ice spikey in my tele, I used it several years ago, before I knew about magnet swapping).

Would a Neck sh1 in bridge position be really different in term of tone or is it just a sh1 with less turns? has anybody tried it that way?

Comment

Working...
      X