banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HHH setup on strat-- who's got one? (also, what's a good middle humbucker?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHH setup on strat-- who's got one? (also, what's a good middle humbucker?)

Thinking of doing up a triple humbucker strat pickguard. Anyone here have 3 full size buckers in their strat?

I already have 2 out of the 3 pickups for this setup: a Pearly Gates neck pickup and a Screamin' Demon trembucker for the bridge. Now I just need to pick a middle humbucker. Any recommendations?

I'm leaning towards a Dimarzio PAF Pro-- my thinking is that I should go with something not too hot since I'm getting further away from the bridge position. Plus, lower output should sound better if I do a 5-way strat switch and don't split any coils when combining with the neck or bridge humbucker. But I don't want to go with a single coil in the middle (or a single sized bucker)-- I'm kind of digging on the "triple full-size humbucker assault" look.
    Last edited by appar111; 02-19-2014, 03:38 PM.
    "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Re: HHH setup on strat-- who's got one? (also, what's a good middle humbucker?)

I do. 1990 American Standard Strat. Got a triple hum guard from warmoth.

I think you should go with your instincts and see how that PAF Pro will work for you.

Personally, I have a old school El Diablo (based on the Demon) in the middle of my Strat. I think there is either. 59nA4 or a J/59nA4 in the neck. Currently a JB in the bridge, about to swap with a new arrival from last week.

In other middle hum applications, I use a JB.

Go with what works for you, wild man.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

I did with a strat at one point and it sounded pretty bestial. SH-13, SH-8 and a Kent Armstrong Ultimate Metal Massacre.

I'm doing it up for a bit of a challenge now.
      Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

The last thread on this got locked up so everyone be on your best behavior. All I'll say is that in my opinion, a full-size bucker in the middle sounds like mud, no matter how low the wind, no matter what the magnet. If you want quack, you're infinitely better off with a true single coil. A minihumbucker is a close second.
        Generic signature line.

Comment

Zhang-
          Duly noted. Not sure what happened in the other thread, but I'm sure everyone here can play nice. That said, I think I can find one that works for my purposes. Not sure what your setup is, but my rig is fairly bright. My last "regular" strat I ended up doing a Pro Track (bridge), Chopper (middle) and Fast Track 1 (neck). The Chopper is medium output and worked really well, but also has a decent amount of high end. So I think there's hope in full-size humbucker territory as long as I keep it medium/low output and brighter in its tone signature.

Comment

Best behavior could be considered as letting someone check it out for themselves. Who gives a rip what someone else does. Look at what has been done by people who ignored people that told them what they wanted to do wouldn't work or didn't make sense.

Comment

appar111 sounds like a cool build what kind of music do you play? Do you have a particular tone you are going after? The Pearly Gates in the neck is a great start, I have one in the neck of my Strat and could not be happier.

Comment

im gonna put a TZ in bridge and Slash in middle. I haven't decided on neck pup.

Im thinking, use a middle humbucker with similar eq as sc that's popular in middle.

or how about invader bridge, x2n middle and dimebucker neck

Comment

What exactly is it you want to DO with the middle pickup?

For example. I used to have a Tele that had a Hot Rails in it (yeah, I know, single sized dual rail...). I used it as a humbucker to "rock" the Tele. I also split it to use it in conjunction with the bridge or neck to get the quack on.

I had a Chopper in the middle of a Kramer, and I actually used that for rhythms or leads inste4ad of the X2N in the bridge, when appropriate (Yeah, I know, another double rail...). I never used the neck chopper in that guitar.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                    Best behavior could be considered as letting someone check it out for themselves. Who gives a rip what someone else does. Look at what has been done by people who ignored people that told them what they wanted to do wouldn't work or didn't make sense.
                    No law in here (or anywhere else) says anyone has to do what I say.
                    Generic signature line.

Comment

How about putting Demon in the middle and Custom or Alt8 in the bridge? I had tried H-H combinations of Custom, Alt8, Demon and PG. Custom or Alt8 pairs nicely with Demon or PG in the neck. And Demon in the bridge also pairs well with PGn. So maybe Demon would also be decent enough as middle pickup (I'm not saying you could get quack from this combo). Unfortunately I don't have a strat to try H-H-H with these pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        What exactly is it you want to DO with the middle pickup?
                        Well, I'd probably use the bridge pickup for rhythms, the neck pickup for leads and the middle for clean stuff or lead stuff that splits the difference between a neck and a bridge tone. I remember the Chopper doing very well at that. I could've happily just used a Chopper in the middle as the sole pickup on that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                          How about putting Demon in the middle and Custom or Alt8 in the bridge? I had tried H-H combinations of Custom, Alt8, Demon and PG. Custom or Alt8 pairs nicely with Demon or PG in the neck. And Demon in the bridge also pairs well with PGn. So maybe Demon would also be decent enough as middle pickup (I'm not saying you could get quack from this combo). Unfortunately I don't have a strat to try H-H-H with these pickups.
                          The Demon I have is a trembucker, so it's gotta go in the bridge position. If I get an HHH pickguard, I won't be able to squeeze the trembucker into a standard sized humbucker rout on a pickguard.

Comment

Originally posted by appar111 View Post
                            Zhang-
                            Duly noted. Not sure what happened in the other thread, but I'm sure everyone here can play nice. That said, I think I can find one that works for my purposes. Not sure what your setup is, but my rig is fairly bright. My last "regular" strat I ended up doing a Pro Track (bridge), Chopper (middle) and Fast Track 1 (neck). The Chopper is medium output and worked really well, but also has a decent amount of high end. So I think there's hope in full-size humbucker territory as long as I keep it medium/low output and brighter in its tone signature.
                            I have been interested in a Strat set up with three DMZ rail pups of the family that you just described. Was there something you didn't like about that DMZ setup that has you interested in the three buckers?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                              No law in here (or anywhere else) says anyone has to do what I say.
                              Take it easy tough guy. I didn't "quote" your post (as done in this one here), as it wasn't direct at at anyone. Including you. It'd be nice to see a thread that is valuable to someone get some traction before it gets shut down again. Just building on what you said, not pointing fingers.

Comment

Working...
                              X