Pearly Gates neck in the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates neck in the bridge?

Anyone use a PGn in the bridge position? How does it sound compared to the PGb?
    "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Re: Pearly Gates neck in the bridge?

A PGN in the bridge position is what a PGB should normally sound like IMO. Great PG tone still, but gets rid of some of the excess beef and smoothness that can smear over the pickup's clarity when using an amp with low headroom.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Hi,
      When not using my Seth L.'s W/A5 mags, I use a SH-2 Jazz necks in the bridge of my Strat style guitars. Really beautifull, full sounds, loads of crisp highs. If you look at the tone chart you can see that although the jazz pups are lower in output, around mid to high 7 DK- the lows, mids, and highs are very similar to P.G.'s. Getting a pair of double whites jazz neck and bridge pickups to put in one of my all snow white strats w/a fender 57/62 for the middle pickup.
      I can't wait. SH-2 Jazz pick ups for crisp and full yet not too heavy for some guitars, and Seth Lovers w/A5's bridge pickups for beefier guitars, and Fender 57/62 pup when singles are called for- my search has ended for my favorite pick-ups for any situation.
      You might appreciate this, I have a lovely re-issue SG with a S.Lover A/5 mag in the bridge, and without harming the instrument I put a 57/62 Fender single coil in the bridge. The two together make the most beautiful sound together, full, rich, chimey and responsive as h*ll. The strat (with black cover, of course) measured from the SG saddles puts it right in the place where a pickup could go on a regular strat between the neck and the middle positions so it even has a unique sound all by itself. Love 'em all to death!!
      Steve Buffington. p.s.-just make sure they are not wired out of phase, or they sound like broken glass together.
      Last edited by SJ318; 02-20-2014, 03:12 AM. Reason: Avoiding crosswiring

Comment

This is the same type of question i posted yesterday (without answers), what if I put a SH1 neck in bridge position? it's just a matter of level and slightly moved peak resonance due to the lower number of turns or is it a different pickup (different winding pattern for example)?

Comment

Khriss Bliss (member of this forum) has a couple excellent videos of a PGn in the bridge position. Search him up on youtube, or wait for him to attack here

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
            Hi,
            When not using my Seth L.'s W/A5 mags, I use a SH-2 Jazz necks in the bridge of my Strat style guitars. Really beautifull, full sounds, loads of crisp highs. If you look at the tone chart you can see that although the jazz pups are lower in output, around mid to high 7 DK- the lows, mids, and highs are very similar to P.G.'s. Getting a pair of double whites jazz neck and bridge pickups to put in one of my all snow white strats w/a fender 57/62 for the middle pickup.
            I can't wait. SH-2 Jazz pick ups for crisp and full yet not too heavy for some guitars, and Seth Lovers w/A5's bridge pickups for beefier guitars, and Fender 57/62 pup when singles are called for- my search has ended for my favorite pick-ups for any situation.
            You might appreciate this, I have a lovely re-issue SG with a S.Lover A/5 mag in the bridge, and without harming the instrument I put a 57/62 Fender single coil in the bridge. The two together make the most beautiful sound together, full, rich, chimey and responsive as h*ll. The strat (with black cover, of course) measured from the SG saddles puts it right in the place where a pickup could go on a regular strat between the neck and the middle positions so it even has a unique sound all by itself. Love 'em all to death!!
            Steve Buffington. p.s.-just make sure they are not wired out of phase, or they sound like broken glass together.
            good info, but not sure what this has to do with putting a PGn in the bridge??

Comment

I don't think many people have done it.

I've used a PGn as my neck pickup in several guitars and I can only guess what one would sound like used as a bridge pickup.

I would guess that it would have a little more treble and clarity...and a little less bass, mids and output than a PGb.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Hi, to appar111
                I guess my main point is that a lower output neck pup (like the neck P.G.) has a similar tone profile to the SH-2 jazz neck or bridge, and the neck pickup (jazz) works great in the bridge spot for what I like, so a lower output Pearly Gates would work similar to the way the SH-2 works for me. Less output, more highs, and as the tone profile looks very similar, it should work out great as a bridge pup.
                That's all, Thanks - I apologize for adding to much info not related, I just get going sometimes.
                Steve Buffington

Comment

If you want a little "less" PG I guess it's an excellent idea! I like the PG though because I want a little "more."

But yeah, and of course the PG bridge in the neck has many fans.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    A PGN in the bridge position is what a PGB should normally sound like IMO. Great PG tone still, but gets rid of some of the excess beef and smoothness that can smear over the pickup's clarity when using an amp with low headroom.
                    This post is deep. I like it.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                      Hi, to appar111
                      I guess my main point is that a lower output neck pup (like the neck P.G.) has a similar tone profile to the SH-2 jazz neck or bridge, and the neck pickup (jazz) works great in the bridge spot for what I like, so a lower output Pearly Gates would work similar to the way the SH-2 works for me. Less output, more highs, and as the tone profile looks very similar, it should work out great as a bridge pup.
                      That's all, Thanks - I apologize for adding to much info not related, I just get going sometimes.
                      Steve Buffington
                      No problem at all Steve! It's definitely good info! I've been using a 59N in the bridge w/ an A2 in it for a while and always come back to it-- the PGn may be a more gritty cousin to it in the bridge!

Comment

Originally posted by appar111 View Post
                        No problem at all Steve! It's definitely good info! I've been using a 59N in the bridge w/ an A2 in it for a while and always come back to it-- the PGn may be a more gritty cousin to it in the bridge!
                        50's wiring can give a pickup like the PG or Alnico II Pro a sizzling gritty sound.

I don't hear so much of that with Modern wiring.

The two Les Pauls I worked on recently came to me with 50's wiring and one had PG's and the other had Alnico II Pros.

Both had a cool, gritty sizzle to the sound but also sounded a little to bright and a little thin.

Changing both guitars to modern wiring removed the grit and sizzle (sadly...) but thickened up the sound and ultimately gave both guitars a more pleasant tone.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Working...
                        X