banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epiphone Popa Chubby Flying V p90 pick up ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Popa Chubby Flying V p90 pick up ideas??

Hello! last year i bought a Epiphone Popa Chubby Flying V and although i am already satisfied with the tone (But know it could be just that little bit better!) i am looking for a new set of soapbar p90s that are similar in terms of output etc to the ones already installed. unfortunately i boought it second hand and the person who bought it knew very little about it (as does the internet) and as im only just starting to experiment with changing the pickups in other guitars im fairly cluelesss about it all. Any suggestions about what sort of output or anything else the original p90s have?? (if you know anything else about the guitar any other information would be welcome as well!)

Thanks evveryone!

Re: Epiphone Popa Chubby Flying V p90 pick up ideas??

You want to get a pick guard that is set up for P-90's, and Duncan quick connects installed on both the original and this guard.

What pups are in there already? Who cares SP1 neck, SP2 or 3 bridge!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Gibson makes some very good p-90's, I'd get one or two in there.

Duncan's SP90-1 has alnicos; the SP90-2 and SP90-3 have ceramics. That's not the sound I'm after (very unusual for a P-90), and I replaced the magnets in mine with alnicos, which worked out well.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Hard to go wrong with Gibson's offering.

Comment

werd - nothing but love for Gibson P-90's.

That said, my SP3 is pure RAWK. It is just a gnarly nasty blues beast!

Comment

Oh yeah - just remembered this! The problem I had with the neck P90 fit wasn't the pickup, but the cover!

Original 100's were cream, and I went black with the Duncans. I just shaved the neck cover down and it was good. But this was in a Les Paul Studio.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, you got yourself a nice piece there .

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              You want to get a pick guard that is set up for P-90's, and Duncan quick connects installed on both the original and this guard.
              This V is '58 style, so the pups aren't mounted to the p/g.

I remember when these came out and still reckon they're pretty cool. They have a maple neck.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys! i dont know what pups are in already but they are already pretty sick so i was hoping of retaining a similar tone to what they hae now but with a bit more clarity.

Comment

FWIW, I've really enjoyed the Lollar P-90s (a -5% wind neck, +5% wind bridge set) I have in my Blueshawk.

Comment

Working...
                  X