Squier Supersonic Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squier Supersonic Pickups

I have a Squier Supersonic from the short lived late 90s Vista series, where Fender was trying to make the Squier line a bit more upmarket with Crafted in Japan guitars with Duncan Designed pickups and indie rock stylings.

In '99 I picked a blue sparkle supersonic up on Denmark street in London for a low price as they'd just been discontinued. It has a great vintage style neck but always thought the pickups were a little hot, I guess as they were appealing to the alternative rock scene of the time. I've since settled down in South California but now have the guitar out here. It needs some work due to the damp coastal weather at my parents place in England oxidizing most of the hardware, but this is easy stuff to clean/replace. The neck feels better than I remember, it has low frets similar to my 57 reissue strat but with a nicely rounded profile.

Anyways does anyone know what the duncan designed pickups were based on? They are pretty hot and harsh, however most of this may be due to them both being wired to a volume pot each with no tone control. I'll take care of this soon by converting it to a master volume, master tone setup. If anyone knows if the pickups were based on an actual duncan model for example I can see if they are in the ballpark of the more vintage tone I'm after. The body is basswood with a maple neck with massive 70's reversed headstock. I think Fender recently just reissued them with some pickup and body wood and color changes. Any pickup info for the original 90s model would be useful. Or if I end up changing for a more vintage set - what two humbucker pairing would go well in basswood with a rosewood board and bolt on neck?

Cheers!

Re: Squier Supersonic Pickups

Are you sure they are Duncan Designed pickups? I had never heard that.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but that's what it says on Wikipedia, though it also says they were made in Korea when they were made in Japan, so not sure how accurate that article is.

Comment

I bet it's a copy of the JB/Jazz combo, a great classic among duncan designed equipped squier

Comment

I've read in about 4 articles online that the pickups were duncan designed but made in Korea. Folks complain about them being microphonic . I was thinking of maybe changing them for a couple of 59's. If anyone has any suggestions for good humbuckers for a basswood body with a maple/rosewood neck please let me know. I'm looking for something vintage sounding to play classic rock and blues and they need to be open coil so they fit in the pickguard.

Comment

I have one of those, too. Killer guitars!

I had the same question when I got mine. Here's a thread I started on it, with some good information.

If your pups look like mine, and I'm pretty sure they probably do, then they're not Duncan Designed pickups.

Personally, I think it's a bunch of people getting information from one lousy source and that's why it's a common belief, but I could be wrong.

I put a '59/Custom Hybrid and a GFS Mean 90 in mine and it sounds great.
            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
              I have one of those, too. Killer guitars!

I had the same question when I got mine. Here's a thread I started on it, with some good information.

If your pups look like mine, and I'm pretty sure they probably do, then they're not Duncan Designed pickups.

Personally, I think it's a bunch of people getting information from one lousy source and that's why it's a common belief, but I could be wrong.

I put a '59/Custom Hybrid and a GFS Mean 90 in mine and it sounds great.
              Wow, thanks for the link. I have the same generic looking nameless pickups and am the original owner so they are probably not duncan designed. I've noticed there's not much info on these guitars and what is available online is sketchy at best.

Looks like a great opportunity to install some new pickups :-)

Comment

I know it's to each his own, but that's one ugly guitar. It looks like a left-handed Jag, that wishes it was a RH'ed Nighthawk. Sorry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Super-Sonic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	5776213

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  I know it's to each his own, but that's one ugly guitar. It looks like a left-handed Jag, that wishes it was a RH'ed Nighthawk. Sorry.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51376[/ATTACH]
                  You don't need to feel sorry. I don't think it's ugly. It's fun to play and makes a change from my regular strats and les pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51376[/ATTACH]
                    As a lefty, that's why I dig it.
                    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I find it cool. The body is smaller sized than Jag/JM right? Anyone has the blueprint of the body?

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                        I find it cool. The body is smaller sized than Jag/JM right? Anyone has the blueprint of the body?
                        It's been a while since I've played one of those guitars but the body feels fairly small, but part of this may be the shorter scale length affecting the bridge position vs a strat for example. The thing I love most about the guitar is the neck. It feels across between my standard strat and 57 reissue as it has the 9.5" radius but with the thin vintage frets. It's very playable and sounds 'fendery' both unplugged and amplified - even with the humbuckers. I'm glad fender made them. It came at a time after grunge had reduced the selling power of the superstrat guitars of the 80s and most guitars were versions of strats, teles and les pauls. I think they were inspired by the upside down Hendrix look and styled to appeal to the alternative rock and retro rockers of the day. I think Crispen Mills from Kula Shaker and Courtney Love were endorsers of the Vista line. They've actually reissued the supersonic now but as a Fender with different colors and pickups.

Still thinking of going with the 59 vintage blues set for $130 or even trying the slash set to give the alnico ii's a go. Other recommendations appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X